Technical question on updating the Dutch Language pack

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
vdrover
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Technical question on updating the Dutch Language pack

Post by vdrover » Thu May 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi everyone. Apologies if I should post this technical question on another board, but this seemed most appropriate.

As a co-owner of Watchful, we process a lot of updates. I recently received a very puzzling issue from a customer, that I also heard similar versions of informally at the recent JoomlaDagen, so I thought I would post here to see if anyone else had this issue.

The basic problem is as follows: In Watchful, we detect an update for the Dutch Language Pack 3.4.0.1, hoping to update to 3.5.x. No matter how many times we try to "apply" this update, the same notification continues to appear (a 3.5.x update available for 3.4.0.1 Dutch language pack).

After digging into this for some time, we found the cause of the problem: two language packs were installed: http://take.ms/jyjti (note the older package has an ID# of 10002).

I did some research into the available Dutch language files and there appears to have been a name change. The 3.4.x language packs are all called "Dutch Language Pack" while 3.5.x is called "Nederlands (nl-NL) taalpakket". Not sure if that's related, but I did find it interesting.

Anyway, attempting to remove the older version using the Joomla Extension Manager gave a "manifest file missing" error. In the end, the solution was to manually remove the extension from the _extensions table in the database (from above, ID=10002).

Oddly, I was unable to reproduce this issue on numerous test sites (tested by installing the 3.4.0.1 language pack followed by an update to 3.5.x via Watchful), and the client only experienced it on some sites.

Given that this issue of a never-updating Dutch language pack notice has come up multiple times, I wanted to reach out to see if folks had any insight.
Last edited by vdrover on Fri May 06, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Drover
https://watchful.net - Remote backup, update and security monitoring for Joomla.

MartijnM
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Technical question on updating the Dutch Language pack

Post by MartijnM » Fri May 06, 2016 10:36 am

Somewhere in my memory there comes something up, but I don't know all of it anymore.
I remember an extension using the wrong installationscript (that of the Dutch Joomla language) to install the Dutch language of that extension.
I did help to correct the script but it can have caused damage.
Maybe this is the reason why you can 't reproduce it.
Maybe you can look at the simulaire 3th party extensions wich cause this?
Hope this can help you.
I am on holliday now, so can't look back in my history.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Technical question on updating the Dutch Language pack

Post by infograf768 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:44 pm

FYI, the name in the manifest itself should not be an issue. If I remember well, the name of the pkg file is important, i.e.
pkg_fr-FR.xml
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”