Content language vs. installed language

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
xiayou
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Content language vs. installed language

Post by xiayou » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:11 pm

Two enquiries please, the first one: what is the difference between installed language and content language? Should they not be the same? In my Installed section, I see English and Norwegian. If I select 'Content Language', I see Polish and English - no Norwegian?

So to my second one, I installed the Norwegian language package (3.10.0) and it shows in the dashboard under Languages: Installed (Site). Great!

Now there are a few modules this does not work on, because the language version is old (3.10.0) and is displayed with an orange status color. If I hover over the version number, it says that "the language package does not match this Joomla version. Some strings may be missing and will be displayed in English." That is also fine, I can just use the override I guess? I wonder if I should use the English or the Norwegian language for overrides?

When I choose override regardless of the language, I look up the content/value I want to edit and click save. But it does not update? I was successful in adding 4 overrides earlier the same day, then it stopped saving/updating them for some reason.

I have Joomla version 3.10.11.

What could be the issue?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Content language vs. installed language

Post by imanickam » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:30 pm

xiayou wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:11 pm
Two enquiries please, the first one: what is the difference between installed language and content language?
The installed language is created/updated whenever the language pack is installed. The installed language could be used as the default language for back-end and/or front-end. In addition, in a multilingual site, the installed [site] language is used for front-end.

The content language is created when a language pack is installed. The content language is used for tagging elements such as articles, contacts to specific language when creating a multilingual site.

Note:
If an installed language is uninstalled, its content language will not be deleted.

xiayou wrote:
Should they not be the same? In my Installed section, I see English and Norwegian. If I select 'Content Language', I see Polish and English - no Norwegian?
If you do not see a content language then it could have been Trashed and/or deleted permanently. If a Content language is in the state of Trashed, it will not be created when the corresponding language is installed. While installing a language pack, the Content language will be created only when it is not present in any state.

xiayou wrote:
I can just use the override I guess? I wonder if I should use the English or the Norwegian language for overrides?
Yes, your guess is correct. Language override feature is present to change the value of a language string and to create new language string.

If it is a monolingual site then you could create the language override for the corresponding default front-end language. If it is a multilingual site then language overrides for each of the front-end languages could be created.

xiayou wrote:
When I choose override regardless of the language, I look up the content/value I want to edit and click save. But it does not update? I was successful in adding 4 overrides earlier the same day, then it stopped saving/updating them for some reason.
Are you noticing the override files in the directory \language\overrides if you have created override for front-end language and in the directory \administrator\language\overrides if you have created override for back-end language.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”