Is it necessary to install Chinese language package?

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jleung
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Is it necessary to install Chinese language package?

Post by jleung » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:53 am

Is it necessary to install the Traditional Chinese language package or Simplified Chinese language package to create a Chinese website?

I currently only have the English (UK) language pack but my website displays the Traditional Chinese characters I typed.

Also, the website will have Traditional Chinese (default) and Simplified Chinese language switching options.

I saw a website (http://globaltm.org/) that has language selection without changing the url. I wonder what's the best way to create a Traditional and Simplified Chinese website.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Is it necessary to install Chinese language package?

Post by imanickam » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:48 am

jleung wrote:Is it necessary to install the Traditional Chinese language package or Simplified Chinese language package to create a Chinese website?
The answer would be "Yes", if the error and informational messages and the field names of of Joomla! has to be in Chinese. It is better to install the appropriate language pack that has to be the primary language of the site. After you install the language pack, make that language as the default Site language.

If the messages could be in English then there is no need to install the Chinese language pack.

In the site you have referenced, it uses the extension GTranslate (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tions/4823) that does the automatic translation using Google Translation services. Other similar extensions could be found at http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... anslations.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

jleung
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jleung » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:04 am

Thanks a lot!

jleung
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Language Set up issues

Post by jleung » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:18 am

I installed the Chinese (Traditional) language pack. But it only shows up in the Language Manager > Installed - Site section, nothing in the Content section. Currently, I cannot select the language. Does that mean the Chinese language pack is not working for the website?

I work in English. But the website should be Traditional Chinese (Default) and Simplified Chinese. The language option is done using GTranslate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 am

If you use GTranslate, you do not need to create a Chinese content language.
The content languages are only necessary when enabling a Joomla native multilanguage site.

WARNING: You have an error and you should disable magic_quotes
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

jleung
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Language Installation Issue

Post by jleung » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:35 am

I think I fixed the problem. Do you think it's better keep the default (language > all) for the article languages?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:05 am

As infograf768 mentioned, if you are using extensions such as GTranslate (for multilingual capability), there is no need to create the Content Language for the languages.

And, you would develop the site just like any other site as the site would be a mono-lingual site.

Yes, you have to assign the objects to "All" languages which is the default anyway.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

jleung
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jleung » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:40 am

When I search something in Chinese that is not found the results said something like "cannot find ___ (in English)" in Chinese. When I search something that exists in Chinese it shows up. Is it searching for everything in Chinese? Or is it missing something?

How can I customize the search function so that I can access the custom tables I created show list the searched items as a result like the in a table if the stuff I want is there like the library catalog?

Here are my 2 other forums about this topic:
1. http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=706&t=860762
2. (with PICTURES of what I want) http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=708&t=860522

Also, I got an email from [spam]@gmail.com. Is this a spam?

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”