Help: Labels are surrounded by double asterisks

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
JLW
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Help: Labels are surrounded by double asterisks

Post by JLW » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:54 pm

I am putting the finishing touches on a migrated J3.3 site to replace our 1.5 site. Yesterday, the site was fine. As far as I can tell, all I was doing yesterday was working on a template override for one view of the Jevents calendaring component, but I must have disturbed something in the Joomla core, because all of a sudden all the menu items and messages in the Joomla back end are preceded and followed by two asterisks, and the same goes for a smattering of prompts within components in the front end.

Furthermore, the Joomla debug area at the bottom of the pages says:

Code: Select all

"Parsing Errors in Language Files"
JROOT/administrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.plg_system_jumi.ini : error(s) in line(s) 0, 1, 3, 10, 11
but this may have always been the case even before the problem occurred; I don't know.
That file's contents are:

# $Id: en-GB.plg_content_jumi.ini 95 2009-02-25 10:20:33Z martin2hajek $
# Note : All ini files need to be saved as UTF-8 - No BOM

JUMIPLUGINDESC="<p>This content plugin includes into Joomla! articles custom script: from a file or from Jumi component database record.</p><p><b>Usage: {jumi [stored_code_source] [arg1] [arg2] ... [argN]}</b><br />where</p><ul><li><b>stored_code_source</b><br />is a filepathname to be included or<br />ID of Jumi componet databese table record.<br />The filepathname is a relative one with respect to Default Absolute Path that can be set in the plugin parameters. If not set then is equivalent to Joomla! root.<br />The record ID must be preceeded by an asterrisk (e.g. *4).</li><li><b>[arg1] ... [argN]</b><br />are optional jumi arguments. It depends on your custom included php file if it can handle them. Arguments can be accessed by $jumi[] array in an included php file.</li></ul><p>Example of file inclusion + arguments:  {jumi [plugins/system/jumi/jumi/jumi_demo.php][first][second]}</p><p>Example of component database record inclusion:  {jumi [*1]}</p><p>There is also a compatible Jumi module and a component.</p><p>Additional information and resources: <a href="http://2glux.com/projects/jumi">Downloads & guides</a>, <a href="http://2glux.com/projects/jumi/tutorial">Tutorial</a>.</p>"
PARAMABSPATH="Optional Default Absolute Path to the included file. It is prepend to filepathname to be included. If left blank then it is identical to Joomla! root directory. No slash at the end."
PARAMHIDECODE="If set to Yes the Jumi code is not displayed and not processed."
PARAMNESTED="If set to Yes the Jumi code will include a code and apply the replacement of Jumi syntax command in it too."
ERROR_CONTENT="Jumi is working but there is <b>nothing to be shown</b>.<br />Specify the source of the code (first square brackets)."
ERROR_FILE="The file <b>%s</b> does not exist or is not readable!"
ERROR_RECORD="Record ID:<b>%d</b> does not exist!"
HIDE JUMI CODE="Hide Jumi code"
DEFAULT ABSOLUTE JUMI PATH="Default Absolute Jumi Path"
Can someone advise what I should check or fix?

Thanks for your attention.
---Jordan
http://www.UpgradeThat.com -- compare and save on computer upgrades
http://www.Accordionist.org -- the accordion community online

jcms
I've been banned!

Re: Help: Labels are surrounded by double asterisks

Post by jcms » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:26 am

can you download jumi package and copy file plg_system_jumi.ini in your server?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:39 am

1) If your server is running Php 5.3, check that Magic Quotes is turned off.

2) There is Quotes inside Quotes. They should probably be escaped.

JUMIPLUGINDESC="Additional information and resources: <a href="http://2glux.com/projects/jumi">"

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:55 am

The asterix display when debug language is set to Yes in Global Configuration.
If they display, it's a good sign that the value is correctly parsed.
If they do not but instead show a double ?? around the constant, then something wrong (string missing or error in the ini file)
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Return to “Language - Joomla! 3.x”