Website Description

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
darthdollar
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Website Description

Post by darthdollar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I didn't see any threads similar to this, but I didn't look very hard. So if there's one already that asks this question please feel free to post the link or tell me to look harder :p

How do you add the website description so that when it shows up in the search engine it shows the description not the HTML code shown in the picture?
Capture.JPG
Also, I have seen this question asked before and I've unsuccessfully tried to follow those instructions. How do you make a website more searchable? In order for my site to be found you have to type it's exact name. Is it just a matter of how popular sites are and they end up at the top? I've submitted the site to the Google database thing.
Also, what is a XML sitemap?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oakmarklondon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Website Description

Post by oakmarklondon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Google seach results use web page title, URL, and meta description in order to display the info. if the elements are too long google will truncate teh content so teh advise is to use webpage title up to 70 characters and page description up to 160 characters.

XML sitemap - tells google robots what is on your site and where to look for it. its like list of contents in a book

autechs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by autechs » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43 pm

There are many factors which govern how well you rank in the search engines. Keywords which you wish to be ranked for should be included in your title and description (most important keywords towards the front). Also, writing good quality content and ensuring that fresh content is added regularly is a good start. Backlinks are also important but must come from sites relevant to yours to be worthwhile. I'm sure many more people on here will give you extra tips, but that's a good start.
http://www.autysolutions.co.uk - IT Support in Lancashire and South Cumbria
https://www.eventunite.co.uk - My Latest Project

melissajochem76
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by melissajochem76 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:52 am

If you aren't knowledgeable of how to add/edit codes for SEO, then try an SEO extension instead.

timosz
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by timosz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:40 pm

From the early days of Joomla 1.x it was suggested to avoid setting a site-wide meta description, in the global configuration. I guess a site-wide meta description is producing duplicate entries in a manner that Google certainly dislikes. Try to set a meta description on each menu item separately. In case of a K2 category it is advisable to set the meta description on the K2 category instead of the menu item, again to avoid duplicate entries. You don't really need a separate plugin/component to perform these operations, as long as you have the required patience to perform the data entries one by one.

A sitemap helps a search engine to read the contents of your site. You can use an extension for that. Xmap is one of the best sitemap generators out there.

anita432tyler
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by anita432tyler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:47 pm

autechs have right. You can't set tekst for google desription in SER.
Content will be automaticly change with searched text in google.

For example if you write "gadżety reklamowe" you will se this:
Gadżety Reklamowe
aplauz.gift/
Gadżety reklamowe przykuwające uwagę. Ponad 2000 funkcjonalnych gadżetów w bardzo atrakcyjnych cenach. Poznaj wysoką jakość!

If you write in google "aplauz.gift":
Gadżety Reklamowe
aplauz.gift/
Informacje o sklepie. Aplauz Gadżety Reklamowe. Łódzka 69 lok. 7 87-100 Toruń. Telefon: 56 477 08 86; E-mail: [email protected] · Facebook · Twitter · RSS ...

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”