Editing Article after it placed on top google search result

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
pranabmistry
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Editing Article after it placed on top google search result

Post by pranabmistry » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Hello...
One page of my site placed on the frontpage of the google search result..... Now if I edit the title slightly or the article content, then what will be the result??

Or..what should I do to place this article on the 1st position of the front page of google search?? ( now it is on 8th position).
With Regards
Pranab Mistry

sharonland
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Editing Article after it placed on top google search res

Post by sharonland » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:27 am

No, you should not do like that. If you made any change inside the article or in the article title means, then surely you will need to face the changes of your website page ranking which has been got placed in the first page of google search results. so, it is better not to do any changes in that page itself.

pranabmistry
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pranabmistry » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks for your reply.......
With Regards
Pranab Mistry

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:09 pm

What search words bring it #1 ? Are they unique ? Does it come #1 with any other combination of search terms that people might use ?
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

pranabmistry
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pranabmistry » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Webdongle wrote:What search words bring it #1 ? Are they unique ? Does it come #1 with any other combination of search terms that people might use ?
Thanks for your reply.... it's not on #1...it's on the #1 page of search result.......

The search word is ..."Top 10 adsense earner 2015" ...

My URL is as sitestalk.com
With Regards
Pranab Mistry

greatar4
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by greatar4 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:06 pm

I don't think that would be a problem. Well, you can update the content of your site whenever you want to. As long as the URL remains the same, it should be totally fine.

pranabmistry
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pranabmistry » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:03 pm

greatar4 wrote:I don't think that would be a problem. Well, you can update the content of your site whenever you want to. As long as the URL remains the same, it should be totally fine.
Thanks a lot.......... In fact I need to modify the content only...the title & the URL will be unchanged....... Thanks again........
With Regards
Pranab Mistry

collingwood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by collingwood » Fri May 08, 2015 2:17 pm

You are now on 5th position...May I know what changes you have done? Are you checking ranking in Google.com.bd?

bijutoha
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bijutoha » Sat May 09, 2015 6:32 am

I'm searching and I found it is now 7th position on Google.com.bd and 5th on Google.com . I think you can change the article content obviously, Because "Updating the content caused people to read it more and share it via Facebook again."

roma64
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by roma64 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:02 pm

I just looked at your site and found some discrepancies (in my view) and resolving them might boost your ranking, for that keyword, higher! Being consistent is important!

Title: Stay consistent with your title! If I see 'top 10 adsense earner-2015' in your page heading, then the page title should match

URL: Depending on your Heading and Title, the URL should also match.

Image: Your image should also match the above. It should also be optimized for speed

Content: OK! For some Adsense earners, you have a small info about them, but for others, info about them is missing. Be consistent

Description: Your description is too short and lacks more info about the topic to attract more visitors. If you look at that page description on Google search result page, you will see that the description showing is what Google thinks your page is about but when I look at the content of that page, Google is using excepts from your first paragraph. Again, your page is about the top 10 Adsense earner for 2015, therefore your description should describe that topic!

Whatever you change on that particular page WILL reflect your Google ranking because everything is about content!

Also, did you research the keyword you are targeting?

About your Technical SEO
That particular page is taking 5.48s to load, has a page size of 1.27MB, and 71 of total number of requests!

You should compress your images (this will help you reduce the page size) and reduce the amount of requests!

There are other things you can do to reduce the page load time such as specifying the image size within the html of your content, Size your images accordingly before you upload them so not to make the browser guess what dimensions are your images!

Your page has a small amount of things that need to be done, therefore, it should be easy to work on those!

Hope this helps!
SimplerWebs

lilysmith22
I've been banned!

Post by lilysmith22 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:55 am

The quality and relevancy of the content is now a big factor. If you changed your title or content body then surely it will effect your search ranking. But not to worry, if your content is good enough then it will rank well in a very short period of time.

roma64
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by roma64 » Fri May 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Sorry Sureshnegi but I have to, with respect, disagree with you there! Everything you do within your content will have a positive or negative impact on that page ranking! When you add content, you might end up sending a signal to the search engines about a content update that might help you improve your ranking, or send you to the 2nd, or third page of the search engines result pages.

I have tested this on two different pages where, on 1 page, I completely rewrote the content, and on the other page, I just added more content (from 800 to 1500 words). On the one that I completely rewrote, it went from page 4 of Google to page 1, and on the one that I added more words, while keeping the copy natural and using various synonyms of the targeted keyword, it went from page 1 to page 2!

I am not saying you can't improve ranking by adding more content but you have to make sure that you are still focusing on the same topic Google previously indexed it for!

Am I wrong? Possibly but the experience and testing tells me that adding content might make your page disappear from the SERP, than improve it!
SimplerWebs

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue May 26, 2015 4:10 pm

roma64 wrote:...
Am I wrong? Possibly but the experience and testing tells me that adding content might make your page disappear from the SERP, than improve it!
I have also found that can happen. So now if I significantly change the text on a page I often change the Browser Title or alter the position of the menu structure ... then resubmit the sitemap ;)

pranabmistry
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pranabmistry » Thu May 28, 2015 9:42 am

roma64 wrote:I just looked at your site and found some discrepancies (in my view) and resolving them might boost your ranking, for that keyword, higher! Being consistent is important!

Title: Stay consistent with your title! If I see 'top 10 adsense earner-2015' in your page heading, then the page title should match

URL: Depending on your Heading and Title, the URL should also match.

Image: Your image should also match the above. It should also be optimized for speed

Content: OK! For some Adsense earners, you have a small info about them, but for others, info about them is missing. Be consistent

Description: Your description is too short and lacks more info about the topic to attract more visitors. If you look at that page description on Google search result page, you will see that the description showing is what Google thinks your page is about but when I look at the content of that page, Google is using excepts from your first paragraph. Again, your page is about the top 10 Adsense earner for 2015, therefore your description should describe that topic!

Whatever you change on that particular page WILL reflect your Google ranking because everything is about content!

Also, did you research the keyword you are targeting?

About your Technical SEO
That particular page is taking 5.48s to load, has a page size of 1.27MB, and 71 of total number of requests!

You should compress your images (this will help you reduce the page size) and reduce the amount of requests!

There are other things you can do to reduce the page load time such as specifying the image size within the html of your content, Size your images accordingly before you upload them so not to make the browser guess what dimensions are your images!

Your page has a small amount of things that need to be done, therefore, it should be easy to work on those!

Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot ROMA64 for this detailed explanation. It really helps me a lot. Thank you once again.
With Regards
Pranab Mistry

pranabmistry
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pranabmistry » Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am

bijutoha wrote:I'm searching and I found it is now 7th position on Google.com.bd and 5th on Google.com . I think you can change the article content obviously, Because "Updating the content caused people to read it more and share it via Facebook again."
Thanks
With Regards
Pranab Mistry

jamiewalters
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jamiewalters » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:13 am

I've done that in one of my pages. It didn't hurt my rankings but it brought me more traffic since I changed it to a more catchy title.

pranabmistry
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pranabmistry » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:01 am

I also did this & it increased the page rank :-) @Jamiewalters
With Regards
Pranab Mistry

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:40 am

You may have increased the results for your desired search terms but not everyone will use the exact terms you use.

example
search for
bespoke satchels
then search for (in another window)
handmade satchels
Two similar search terms but two totally different results. Then add to the equation all the myriad of terms people would use ... just shows how insignificant that it is for you to be high using the search words of your choice !!!

pranabmistry
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pranabmistry » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 am

Good example :-) Thanks webdongle
With Regards
Pranab Mistry

jameshagan
I've been banned!

Post by jameshagan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:13 am

Yes, as of all the above persons said, by changing the content present in the page will never results in the change of ranking in search engine and also especially, your page has been ranked based on the on page and off page optimization done for it and so, in any terms the changing of article content will never change the ranking of search results.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”