A discrete, but serious SEF / rewrite url problem

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
dysfunctional
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

A discrete, but serious SEF / rewrite url problem

Post by dysfunctional » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Hello!

I've been trying for some quite time figure out why some content on my pages is not shown correctly once i enable SEF, and my guess is that this is related to my server's settings and / or my .htaccess file, but it could also be my template maybe... :P. Or perhaps my configuration.php...

Anyways... I get the same kind of error in every extension, URL's are re-written in a faulty way, which breaks the paths to some images for example. I'll use the Joomgallery extension as an example here, please see this screenshot :

In this view, the Joomgallery component is displayed to the right, and on the left is a module. So far so good.

But once I "go deeper" in my gallery, and for example view a photo gallery, some paths are broken. For example the avatar image in the "About me" module is not found anymore. The Developer tools tells us that Joomla is looking for the file in the wrong directory:

The correct URL to this avatar is "siteroot/media/kunena/avatars/users/avatar_237.png", but instead, Joomla is looking for the file in "siteroot/photos/uploads/media/kunena/avatars/users/avatar_237.png". I don't know why these paths are re-written this way. And the longer the url is, the more silly it gets. If I'd for example view an image now, Joomla would look for this avatar image in the "siteroot/photos/uploads/2014-10-16-porto-alegre-bra/media/kunena/avatars/users" folder instead. Not very likely to find anything there :D.

This issue is happening in all my extensions. At first, not even my template css files were loaded correctly. I "solved" that by changing the paths to the css files in my index.php to absolute instead of relative ones... Unfortunately, I can't figure out such a quick fix for this problem.

Please help. I'm seriously running out of ideas here :). I'm pasting my current .htaccess file below, I've tried commenting out various stuff but this issue persists.

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

Peter

link to my .htaccess : http://pastebin.com/3HySe9xT

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: A discrete, but serious SEF / rewrite url problem

Post by itoctopus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:35 pm

You should fix the Kuena module to use an absolute path instead of a relative path.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

dysfunctional
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dysfunctional » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi itoctopus and thanks for your reply!

The kunena module is just an example, I have this issue with a lot of modules and extensions.

For example, when viewing a thread in Kunena, Kunena is looking for the attachment in "siteroot/forum/news-from-the-gutter-crashdet-topics/media/kunena/attachments/401/", while the correct path is "siteroot/media/kunena/attachments/401/". Joomla is adding stuff to the paths that shouldn't be there, in the example above its adding the name of the forum and the forum category.

I have tons of other examples. I can of course put absolute paths in every single one of my modules and components. But there's gotta be a better way to fix this :D.

dysfunctional
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dysfunctional » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Holy Christ!!! All these problems appeared because my System - SEF plugin was disabled. Didn't know there also was a plugin.

So, as a reminder to myself, and perhaps others - Once you enable SEF in Global config, please do make sure the plugin is enabled as well :).

I really think Joomla should make this more obvious. Perhaps show an error message in case the plugin is disabled once you enable the setting in global config. Other components do this.

Either way... problem solved!

dysfunctional
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dysfunctional » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Hey davidweb09, in my case ENABLING the SEO plugin was the solution ;)

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”