"Force SSL" and redirects

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
EvanGR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

"Force SSL" and redirects

Post by EvanGR » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:55 am

Hello,

The "Force SSL" option in Joomla, provides automatic redirects to the secure (https) versions of the pages. The type of redirect is 303 (at least in Joomla 2.x, most likely in 3.x as well).

Is there a particular reason for it? SEO guides suggest permanent 301 redirects in order to transfer site rankings etc.

Any opinions on this?

sudo-web
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: "Force SSL" and redirects

Post by sudo-web » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:39 pm

301(Moved Permanently) is for URL’s that have existed once but have now moved to a different URL.
303(See Other) dose mean that the server understand the request but the right location is somewhere else.

This is just my interpretation and the short version of the HTTP-Standard itself.

Of course, if you have a Joomla! installation, and after a while you decide to add a SSL Certificate the 301 Message could be more appropriate.

I'm aware that Google recommends 301, but I do not have any information, if a 301 vs. 303 have any impact on your search result, especially if you start with HTTPS from the beginning and never had a HTTP URL in place.
Visit me on my Webdesign Webpage: https://www.posit.at

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”