Sitemap makes hundreds of pages

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
samlf3rd
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Sitemap makes hundreds of pages

Post by samlf3rd » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:16 pm

Hello,
I have a J3 system with Virtuemart, and when I create a sitemap it always creates like 500+ pages even though we only have about 80 products and a couple of articles is all.

Is this normal? Can it be hurting our rating? The sitemap has search pages and sort by links in there. Should I erase any that I feel is not needed?

Any help would be appreciated!

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Sitemap makes hundreds of pages

Post by waarnemer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:49 am

How do you create a sitemap? If it is automated it will just follow and log all possible urls it can find and follow on your site.

wedowebapps
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wedowebapps » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:47 am

There is 2 way to generate XML Sitemaps 1 is manual way and other is automatic if you want to go with manual then use

Code: Select all

https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/
and if you need automate there is many joomla Extensions which is available in online if you are not able to use at your end then find joomla development company who is help you in your problem.

semnaveen
I've been banned!

Post by semnaveen » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:03 pm

Let me give you an example for this. Let you have a store and on that, you have categories for products, tags for products then separate pages will be created for the categories. So when you generate sitemaps, all these categories, and tags page will be included in Sitemap. So it is not to worry.

Yes, if you dont want to let google index your categories and tags then you can block them in Robots.txt file.

Hope it is clear to you.

Thanks
Naveen

samlf3rd
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by samlf3rd » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:26 pm

waarnemer wrote:How do you create a sitemap? If it is automated it will just follow and log all possible urls it can find and follow on your site.
Is that best SEO practice? It seems like I have too many links for a search engine to view.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:05 am

No it is not best practice it is the way an automated generator may work to determine all links on your site.

And having a shop, there is usually a huge number of products with pages and also a lot of different ways to get to that page.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:18 am

If you want to do this more professionally go for an great extension like JSite map professionall. That will cover all your needs see this url with all features https://storejextensions.org/extensions ... ional.html

lnuyasha
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lnuyasha » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:37 am

Hi samlf3rd,
this is completely normal, large sites or sites with more than a few hundred pages can benefit from a sitemap. It helps search engines discover the important pages.
This will be better as you use a single sitemap, it can ensure the fully index your site.
Another benefit of using multiple sitemap is segmented content. If you find that some of your site's pages are not indexed, you can use the sitemap to diagnose potential problems. It is best to use this technique for large sites by diagnostic the associated and the problem of the code is very difficult and takes a lot of time
If your site is under 10 MB in size, it can accommodate up to 50,000 links that are not broken.
I'm proud of Joomla! is a open source software created and maintained by an amazing community.

james_mc
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by james_mc » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 am

if you go for a sitemap, be attentive and try a number of them to get the sitemap look as you want.

Recently the majority was using very popular plugin ере is not supported by developers anymore. We have chosen Aimy sitemap for us.

jk1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jk1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 am

This one works nicely and very fast with VirtueMart: http://shop.st42.fr/en/tools/virtuemart-2-sitemap.htm
It doesn't crawl the shop (which would be very slow) but creates the sitemap from the product database tables. That's very fast and always up to date automatically if you add new products.

KeywordLove
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by KeywordLove » Wed May 24, 2017 12:30 pm

If you use an external tool either:

1) Setup canonical, nofollow, noindex, robots.txt carefully to ensure all crawlers get the best pages

2) Make sure your tool can exclude and/or limit crawl to certain URL patterns (and if possible further limit what gets into generated XML sitemap files)

Number #1 suggestion is of course best since it is also an advantage with search engines to exclude duplicate and thin content
Use built-in scan preset for Joomla if 403/forbidden/Sh404SEF issues when using A1 Sitemap Generator
http://www.microsystools.com/products/s ... a-website/

Search-Expert
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Search-Expert » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:50 pm

I would recommend ScreamingFrog, it's a fantastic tool for SEO. It will scan your entire site, list all the pages it finds along with their status code and it can also create a sitemap for you. Not sure if the free version allows you to do sitemaps over 500+ pages, but I can confirm the paid version does do so.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”