How to redirect

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
jcuming
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How to redirect

Post by jcuming » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi
My choir has an old Joomla website at the address dwhsociety.co.uk, hosted by another member of the choir.
I've built a new site at handelians2.cumingfamily.org.uk, hosted on AwardSpace and owned by me.

I now want to give the other member of the choir advice so he can redirect his domain (dwhsociety.co.uk) to my new site.

I can see there are a range of redirects. He's tried one redirect, but this just bounces people from dwhsociety.co.uk/index.php to handelians2.cumingfamily.org.uk/index.php which i don't want.

He's tried another type of redirect, which DOES show my new site under his domain, but it doesn't change URL when I move to different pages of the new site, so I'm guessing it's just some kind of wrapper and I don't want this as I want each page to be indexed by Google.

How do I redirect his domain to my new site so that all pages are listed under the domain dwhsociety.co.uk but have their own domains - eg dwhsociety.co.uk/contact-us.html
?
Jim

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: How to redirect

Post by xfsgpr » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:00 pm

He can paste this on his .htaccess file that is located in the root folder:

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://handelians2.cumingfamily.org.uk/$1 [L,R=301]
However, the best way is to login to his registrar's website and from cPanel he can redirect the traffic to new website. It is just editing the DNS details.

jcuming
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jcuming » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks very much xfsgr, this is really helpful!
(and by the way, what a pretty name)

vipoo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by vipoo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:08 pm

I always searched for this solution , thank you

rltv2011
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rltv2011 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:02 pm

If you don't want to use the .htaccess file, you can use the Redirect option in CPanel or your hosting provider panel.
Many webmasters aren't confident or don't know how to use .htaccess file correctly, in fact, if you add or delete something important in your .htaccess file you can make your website disappear (blank screen).

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”