H1 Head Stuffing

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
sudie97
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

H1 Head Stuffing

Post by sudie97 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:05 pm

I am having a little trouble figuring out the best way to optimize my site for seo. I've run some seo tools, and it always comes back with h1 head stuffing. I am not sure what's causing this. In reading some of the posts here, it seems the page title is h1. In the header, the site headline and slogan are h1 and h2. And in my articles i use h1, h2, h3 etc.

So where to remove? Do i need to change the headline/slogan h1 tags? Do i need to make sure that none of my articles use h1 tags? Do i start with h2, h3 in the articles themselves?

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried iSeo ? Any opinions?

I've used sh404sef in the past, but i've never found it easy to use. There are so many seo extensions i'm just not sure what else to try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

AndresNWD
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: H1 Head Stuffing

Post by AndresNWD » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi there

Headers should have a hiearchy. There should only be an h1 in each page of your website and it should contain your main keywords. If you have for example a blog view: blogpost titles should be h2. Another example, if you have a service page, "Services" should be h1 and all services names listed should be h2. H3 are used to add subheaders to sections of an h2 to make easy pages easier to read. I don't use nothing under h4, just bold in text to highlight important keywords or make a text easier to scan.

Haven't used any of those to make SEO to the Joomla site I am admin of, but sh404sef has very good credit.
I work at
http://www.component-creator.com - Easy Joomla MVC development
http://www.neno-translate.com - The complete translation solution for Joomla

sudie97
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sudie97 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi Andres, thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand the hierarchy of headings. Maybe my problem is due to my template...or i'm not asking the right questions.
So my template uses the H1 tag for "headline" and H2 tag for "slogan". I am guessing i should change this since it is probably showing up in the page as another H1 tag?
Also, I've read that the title should be the H1...but Joomla gives the option not to display the title...does that mean it's still being read by search engines as the H1?

josh2015
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by josh2015 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:39 am

Remove head tag on headline and slogan if it is not intend, you will yield a good result with your SEO efforts if is planned action, default setups that you don’t know why and how they effects your expected results should be avoided, they often hurt than save you

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:22 pm

h1 is page title
h2 is Article Title

use h3-h9 inside your articles.

rich1
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by rich1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:16 pm

AndresNWD explained the 'h' tag well within Joomla.
However I am at a loss as to why any 3rd party extensions for SEO should even be considered.
I do understand that Joomla SEO is not perfect, but the work around is not to be too lazy with forming the website and the content structure.

For example if I add content to Joomla, (and I use no SEO extensions), it is on the first page of Google, (for the target SERP), within a few hours. That is not to say that other Search Engines will get the page as quick.

SEO is not an Extension, it is the effort you put in to get it cached.
If you have no 'Coeur de Lion' do not ask why you fail.

sudie97
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sudie97 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Thank you all for your replies. Some of you seemed to misunderstand my question, and I'll take full responsibility for that. Per Yngve Berg, thank you, that seems to be what i need to do!
Josh2015, you are right. I had only recently discovered that my template was using H1 and H2 for headline and slogan, thanks to the Raven Tools, or one of those similar that i was using at the time.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”