SEO, better to UNPUBLISH or ARCHIVE an outdated article

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gnostic19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

SEO, better to UNPUBLISH or ARCHIVE an outdated article

Post by gnostic19 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:57 pm

I have articles that i no longer post on site due to time/date expiration of said event i am promoting. They were indexed by google when they were published (i see them when i do a search), but what happens to them after they are UNPUBLISHED and what happens to them when they are ARCHIVED. I believe if they are ARCHIVED they are still indexed and appear in searches, which can be solved by my selecting NO INDEX for that article in the ROBOTS option drop-down.

Is it better to just UNPUBLISH and wait for google to re-index my site and see that it's not there and it won't get "re-indexed". Of course, until that happens, if the article gets clicked after doing a goggle search and it goes to a 404 page because it's been UNPUBLISHED this can't be good for SEO.

I work for a govt entity so we are required to "save" articles that get posted for a time, so my site is filled with either unpublished or archived articles. I just don't know what is better option (unpublish or archive) for SEO integrity, etc.

thanks!

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: SEO, better to UNPUBLISH or ARCHIVE an outdated article

Post by AlexVega » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:17 am

Hi there,

In general, the content is indexed until you indicate that should not be indexed.

If you want to definitely stop them from being indexed, you have some options, for example in Google, you can
use a tool called Google Search Console, inside you have options like Remove URLs Tool, other search engines
may have similar tools.

Also you can directly do the request for the removal of the links but the process will depend on each company
and can not be immediately, normally with the above and some time is enough.

Cheers.

gnostic19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gnostic19 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:55 pm

thank you

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:31 am

Glad to help,
Regards.

ackerleyzain
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ackerleyzain » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:58 pm

AlexVega wrote:Hi there,

In general, the content is indexed until you indicate that should not be indexed.

If you want to definitely stop them from being indexed, you have some options, for example in Google, you can
use a tool called Google Search Console, inside you have options like Remove URLs Tool, other search engines
may have similar tools.

Also you can directly do the request for the removal of the links but the process will depend on each company
and can not be immediately, normally with the above and some time is enough.

Cheers.
that's right.
absolutely

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”