Duplicates & 301 Redirects - Not Working...

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 3.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 3.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
chizzer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Duplicates & 301 Redirects - Not Working...

Post by chizzer » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:16 pm

Greetings.
We have several typical joomla duplicate pages, that are not complying with the 301 redirect and can not figure out why.

In the screenshot below - we are trying to redirect; start=10, start=25, start=15 to the main page 'amusement-articles'.
Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.09.53 AM.png
Redirect screen shot: Neither of these 301 options is working.
Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.01.44 AM.png
Is there anyway we can locate these three pages and delete them?
Thanks for time and assistance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Duplicates & 301 Redirects - Not Working...

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:46 pm

They are the same page.

'start' is a pagination parameter. It appears when there are more articles in the category then what's set to show in the Menu Item. start=5 will show the 5. article at the top.

Are you conserned about search engines? They are smart enough to figure it out on their own. Google Console had a setting where you could declare it as pagination, but was removed several years ago

chizzer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Duplicates & 301 Redirects - Not Working...

Post by chizzer » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:29 pm

Hello Mr.Berg.
Thank you for your kind response.

Yes, I realize they are the same page - something wonderful joomla is very good at.
And yes, I am concerned about the google, because these pages are being flagged as duplicate meta data. These same (3) pages are also noted as Dynamic urls.

I did not know this 'pagination' issue.
How do I set the menu item to reflect the amount of articles in the category properly?

Thanks again for your time.

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 3.x”