Can't display article in anything other than default temp'

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
alextory
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can't display article in anything other than default temp'

Post by alextory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 am

Hi,
I'm a new Joomla user and I'm trying to set up a site which uses multiple templates. I'm having a problem in that although I assign different templates to different articles using both template manager and menu manager the articles will not display in anything other that what is set as the default site template. In template manager it shows that all the templates I'm trying to use are assigned to something. If I make any of the templates default the whole site displays in that template so I know that the templates are ok.

Please can anyone help before I ditch Joomla and go back to hard coding the website from scratch.

Thanks,

Alex

FlashRebel

Re: Can't display article in anything other than default tem

Post by FlashRebel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:01 am

HI,

What you need to do is set - toggle menu item for that template in template manager. It does not matter which template is default, just toggle menu item for template you want. It will aply for articles under that menu.

So check if your articles are under some menu - category. If articles are not under some menu, it can be assigned to template.

alextory
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alextory » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:19 am

Hi,
Tried all that. Article is categorised, assigned to a menu and toggled under the correct template in template manager. Still no template displayed other than the default one.

Alex

FlashRebel

Post by FlashRebel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 am

Double check if these articles are not assigned somehow to another menu. Also be sure, to clean cache.

It works well in Joomla, so there is something what you have setted not right. Myabe you can post link to your article, that I can see that ?

alextory
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alextory » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:55 am

Hi,
Have checked that and also created new articles and menus in case I had done something wrong with the existing ones but unfortunately still not working. Tried clearing the cache as well. Beginning to think there's something wrong with my Joomla installation as all the right buttons are pressed and boxes ticked to make it do what I want but nothing works.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:33 am

To diagnose the issue, turn off SEF in Global Configuration.

There must be a Itemid=xx on the urls. That is the Menu Item that is used. Is that menu item assigned to the desired template?

alextory
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alextory » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 am

Hi,
Did as you said. URL doesn't seem to contain the itemid=xx. All I get is.....

...../index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:36 am

Change it to /index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=5

Where are the links originating from? A module?

alextory
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alextory » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:00 am

Changed the itemid to match the ID given to it in its menu and it works! The page isn't accessed from a menu, it's a home page for a redirect from a sub-domain for mobile devices i.e. phone user navigates to main site, plugin detects it's a phone, sends it to www.mobile.domain name.com which then has a redirect back to www.domain name.com/this particular page. Tried doing a redirect from www.domain name.com to www.domain name.com/this particular page but I got a redirect loop so had to do the slightly messy sub domain route. If there is a better way of doing this please let me know!

Thanks,

Alex

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:05 am

Joomla 3.x is responsive and mobile ready. There is no need for a mobile domain.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”