Newb at the helm...

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
copycatprinting
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Newb at the helm...

Post by copycatprinting » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:13 pm

I have a printing shop and want to create a retail web presence.

Here's where I am at and here's what I'm hoping to accomplish... hopefully, the braintrust here can help.

I have installed joomla as I believe it may be the best alternative for our endgoal.
I have installed the virtuemart extension for the shopping aspect.

What I am trying to figure out is the following for now to get started.

If I put Printing Services as a top menu, I'd like to have it drop down to show the different services... ie: business cards, postcards, fliers etc... then as you move you mouse over each of them, then either you can click on it or another submenu drops down showing the different options... for example, under business cards, showing 14 point or 16 point. Then customers can quickly go to where they want rather than a bunch of listed categories for them to search through.

Also, for those that don't like that option, I'm wanting to do exactly the opposite by having all the categories listed on the side so they can scroll down the list and see what they want.

Best of both worlds... but where to start.

I thank each of you in advance for any/all help in this matter.

CC

jake2124
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Newb at the helm...

Post by jake2124 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:29 pm

hey man check out this extension http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... enus/18101 it might be a little much for what you're looking for but it'll look nice. Extensions are basically new features you can add to Joomla that help you customize your site. the features don't automatically come with joomla when you download joomla so you have to download them, save the download to your desktop (temporarily so you can find it easily), go to "Extension Manager" under the "Extensions" tab in the admin panel, go to the bottom of the page where it says "Upload and Install Joomla Extension", click "choose file" and choose the folder you saved to your desktop (its ok if it's a zip file you don't need to extract it), click "upload and install", then bam! gotchoself an extension. You may be able to edit it under the "components" tab, or I think you can edit it by going to Extension>Module Manager>New> then make a new module of the menu type. Don't forget to set the module position. cheers!

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:59 pm

A Drop Down Menu Depends of the Template you are using. What Template are you using?
A proper Menu Class Suffix must be set dependant of the Template.

copycatprinting
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by copycatprinting » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:47 pm

currently using the Beez template...
Per Yngve Berg wrote:A Drop Down Menu Depends of the Template you are using. What Template are you using?
A proper Menu Class Suffix must be set dependant of the Template.

copycatprinting
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by copycatprinting » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Installed joomla Printmart template... logged in, went to go make changes and everything I do something, go to save or save and close, this error shows up... ideas?

JFTP: :write: Bad response

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:46 pm

Please use the Forum Post Assistant and post the result here.
Turn off the FTP Layer in Global Configuration.
Tmp and log path mabe wrong.

copycatprinting
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by copycatprinting » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:51 pm

thanks, that allows me to do what I need to change things, much much appreciated

Per Yngve Berg wrote:Please use the Forum Post Assistant and post the result here.
Turn off the FTP Layer in Global Configuration.
Tmp and log path mabe wrong.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”