Protostar Article Title Links Not Working

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
djtech2k
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Protostar Article Title Links Not Working

Post by djtech2k » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 am

I am running the latest Joomla version and using protostar template. My problem is that on my main page, all article titles are hyperlinks so they are formatted as such, which is what I want. All other pages that have articles on them the titles show as standard text. I have "linked titles" globally enabled, but it doesn't change anything.

How can I get this the way I want it?

numinousmedia
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Protostar Article Title Links Not Working

Post by numinousmedia » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:55 am

I would verify that you have titles set as links in your article options and also on your menu item options.
Ryan
Frontend Developer and Joomla Professional
Ethode Website Development: http://www.ethode.com
Personal Site: http://www.numinousmedia.com

djtech2k
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by djtech2k » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Both are set to global, which is enabled. I forced both manually to enabled and there was no difference.

numinousmedia
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by numinousmedia » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:56 pm

You checked all of the individual menu items settings? I would also check the individual articles themselves to see what their settings are set to.
Ryan
Frontend Developer and Joomla Professional
Ethode Website Development: http://www.ethode.com
Personal Site: http://www.numinousmedia.com

djtech2k
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by djtech2k » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:22 pm

I have one article that I am using as my test. I checked the menu item for that article and I checked the article itself. Both were enabled.

I have several other articles with the same situation.

djtech2k
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by djtech2k » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:14 pm

If I make the article featured, the titles are linked and styled properly. If not featured, its not.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:37 pm

It should not matter if you are using the Protostar template or not. This sounds to me like a more general question, not one that belongs in the Templates for Joomla! 3.x category.

Article title links are enabled in the global settings; that's partly true. The individual menu item settings, however, determine whether to use the global settings or to override them.

Can we verify, please, when you wrote that you have "the latest Joomla version" what version is that?

djtech2k
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by djtech2k » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:05 pm

For the article I am using as a test case, I checked the individual article and menu item settings. I even forced them to use linked titles and nothing changed. Here are some screenshots of the config.
example.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:44 pm

Just to confirm, the menu item called "Sponsors" is for a single article? Can we see a picture (or the URL of the page) where this article is displayed, please?

djtech2k
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by djtech2k » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:55 pm

Yes. The article title is Sponsors and so is the Menu Item.

Here is the URL to the page: http://wvathletics.com/mhs/index.php/sponsors

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:31 pm

The title links will only appear on Blog type Menu items, not single article. For a single article, the link will go to the current page and that makes no sense.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks for that. If that doesn't beat all, I can't figure out the cause of your problem. It's clear, even from looking at the raw HTML, that the article title is not being displayed (let alone displayed as hyperlinked text). I guess you've done the "usual" things: cleared the site cache, turned off any non-core Joomla plugins, disabled any template overrides, etc.

You have your home page working (as far as linked titles are concerned)—you're using a category blog view, I can see—but there's something odd about other single article pages and that's the part that's defied my understanding of why.

I'm still convinced that the cause comes from in the way the menu item is created but it beats me why it's not working in your case.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:06 pm

I just tried a simple experiment on a J! 3.6.2 test site with the Protostar template and, you know what? I got the same result! The "Linked Titles" option doesn't work for single articles; it doesn't matter what its value is. The titles are displayed but they're never hyperlinked (not that it would actually matter if they were). The feature seems to work on other templates that I've used but not with the Protostar template. You may have found a bug in the template but, frankly, not one that I would lose any sleep over. :D

I mean, so what? What does it matter if the title in a single article is linked or if it isn't? The target of the link is itself. 8)

djtech2k
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by djtech2k » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:28 pm

Thanks for the help.

The only real reason I want it is because of the styling. My template hyperlink style is that green color. I like the titles better in that green. That's the main reason I wanted it linked. Without it, it looks a bit non-uniform.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:28 am

You can style the colour of the article titles with CSS, by adding to your [custom] user.css file:

Code: Select all

div.container h2 {
    color: #1fab07;
}

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”