Best free Joomla 3.0 templates

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Best free Joomla 3.0 templates

Post by ozneilau » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:27 pm

glynster wrote:All of these frameworks are bloated and slow, full of junk code and unnecessary feature-bloat - it's just 1001 more things that can and do go wrong.
I was starting to think the same thing and went looking for a lightweight and fast template as requested by the original poster in this thread.

I tested 23 templates, looking for ones that are free, responsive, Joomla 3.x compatible and ideally W3C valid. Some use frameworks and some don't.

The template demonstration websites were tested using http://gtmetrix.com and I was a little bit surprised as the Gantry template still stacked up quite well against the others.

These results might not be entirely scientific as some of the demonstration websites are in frames or similar so that other templates can be selected other than the one currently being displayed. Some demonstration websites also have more content than others. Hopefully the test is still sufficient for a ball park comparison.

W3C valid (or close to it) templates loading in under three seconds:
YouTheme Warp http://www.yootheme.com/themes/warp-framework was just over 3s.

See the attachment for the full details.

Edit: Motif http://manoscrafted.com loaded in 1.9s and might also be worth a look.

Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dattard
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by dattard » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Holy moly that's a good piece of research there...
https://www.collectiveray.com - We make Joomla and WordPress Easy: Tutorials, Tips and Tricks, Lots of Free Modules incl. Easy Paypal, Popin Window, Random Flash, Google AdSense, Slide Menu (dropdown), 2CO / Paypal payment, [youtube] module, and more!

filim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by filim » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:32 pm

telme wrote:hi anyone recommend a great template for a newspaper site?
hi!
Here you can select the joomla! template for news site :

Code: Select all

http://www.joomshaper.com/tag/news

johans
I've been banned!

Post by johans » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:40 am

float-right
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by float-right » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:59 am

ozneilau wrote:
glynster wrote:
These results might not be entirely scientific as some of the demonstration websites are in frames or similar so that other templates can be selected other than the one currently being displayed. Some demonstration websites also have more content than others. Hopefully the test is still sufficient for a ball park comparison.

W3C valid (or close to it) templates loading in under three seconds:
YouTheme Warp http://www.yootheme.com/themes/warp-framework was just over 3s.

See the attachment for the full details.

Edit: Motif http://manoscrafted.com loaded in 1.9s and might also be worth a look.

Neil
Hey Neil,

With all due respect your test isn't a test of template performance at all. Your test is a test of server response, performance and site content. Template performance has very little, and quite indistinguishable in this instance, effect on these results.

The amount of content on the demo site and the location and performance of the server are what's showing in your results.

In the case of content, for example, Construct's demo is loading no images whereas Joomlafuture loads 1 huge banner image and 6 smaller ones. The six small images are pulled from Gravatar (which means page rendering is blocked while they download). These images aren't a part of the template, they're demo content.

In respect of server performance location has a huge impact. GMetrix's free service doesn't allow you to specify a test server location (you can do that with pingdom tools though, a similar service which I think is better than GMetrix). The GMetrix test tool you linked to is in Vancouver. Yootheme's demo server is in Germany and mine is in London. Your tests are showing trans-continental latency more than anything else I think.

There's only one way to accurately test template performance, install all of them on a single server ensure they are all showing the same demo content (or preferably none at all) and test them all from a single known location, either local or from a specific node as you can with Pingdom tools. I'm confident that, tested correctly, you will see a vastly different set of results.

Before I'm accused of bashing your results because my template looks so slow please be aware that I (like the authors of Construct and Motif) have zero commercial interest in doing so as we don't sell templates or extensions.

Personally, this means that a) I haven't put very much effort into tailoring my demo site, (it took me about 3 hours to put together) b) it's on a low-grade development server, and c) I've made zero effort in terms of server set-up (I haven't enabled gzipping or caching) on my server because I don't actually care if you use it or not. I make this template primarily for my own benefit and to act as an example of best practice.

That said, I do think it's important to have the correct facts in place on a thread like this.

Cheers,

Seth
Top-tip: marking your posts as "Urgent!", when they clearly aren't, will most likely get you ignored.

Please don't PM me with anything other than *Personal Messages*! If you have a Joomla question, post it in the forum.

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:57 am

float-right wrote: Hey Neil,

With all due respect your test isn't a test of template performance at all. Your test is a test of server response, performance and site content. Template performance has very little, and quite indistinguishable in this instance, effect on these results.
Hi Seth,

Thanks for the feedback and for keeping the discussion civil! :)

I agree with everything you say and as you point out, I'd need to test the templates on the same website and server with the same content and extensions etc before the test is meaningful.

My main motivation for the test was to do a "ball-park" check on how well the Gantry Framework (which I use on almost every website I build) compared to non-framework templates. I assumed there would be a noticeable overhead for Gantry but this isn't necessarily the case.

The Oneweb template framework certainly looks promising, and is one of the very few that ticks all the boxes in the matrix (Joomla 2.5, Joomla 3.x, Responsive, HTML5, W3C Valid). I am intending on checking it out further.

Thanks for all your hard work and it's great to have so much choice when it comes to free templates.

Neil

pishro
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pishro » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:46 am

ozneilau wrote:Gantry has been responsive for a while and works really well whether it's on a desktop, tablet or mobile.
glynster wrote:I don't get any of these frameworks, why use Joomla at all if you then use proprietry software on top of it? Thats like buying a Raspberry Pi and installing Windows on it.

If you are going to get into bed with what is still essentially a commercial application (free though they are they are still owned and can be discontinued at any time) bear in mind that they can change the licensing whenever they like and they are designed to promote the brand of their themes and establish their theming format as the dominant one. And, guess what will happen when they rule the market for theming protocol? They'll charge for the framework.

Ironically, many of the free themes out there are much better since they tend not to be built on "Whizzbandwhallop Framework Version 397" and just employ proven, robust NATIVE Joomla code rather than a whole application layer that does God knows what.

In my humble opinion not enough Joomla template designers design without a framework - soon as I see the words "Gavern, warp, wright, T3 etc etc" I hit the back button
float-right wrote:(my own excepted of course, as it's a Sass framework but a standalone template in the Joomla sense).
ozneilau wrote:I tested 23 templates, looking for ones that are free, responsive, Joomla 3.x compatible and ideally W3C valid. Some use frameworks and some don't.

ozneilau wrote:My main motivation for the test was to do a "ball-park" check on how well the Gantry Framework (which I use on almost every website I build) compared to non-framework templates. I assumed there would be a noticeable overhead for Gantry but this isn't necessarily the case.

The Oneweb template framework certainly looks promising, and is one of the very few that ticks all the boxes in the matrix (Joomla 2.5, Joomla 3.x, Responsive, HTML5, W3C Valid). I am intending on checking it out further.
Hi all! ;)
The site loading speed is detrimental Framework? (Of course, using our web site loading speed is dependent on!) Sometimes Cache and compress css files and javascript that will contribute most to us?

Which is better, T3 or Gantry ?
Do you know anything about JYAML framework to share?

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:07 pm

hello good day dear community

Now that Joomla 3.0.0 is released, can we still use JA Purity II ? Of do we need to wait for an update of this template.

Can I use "Purity for Joomla 2.5" with Joomla 3 now ?
regards un-leash,
a big fan for ++ 11 years now: With Joomla you can easily create and extend your website: see the site, that offers you ideas & modules - extensions.joomla.org - it lists over 4000 extensions

Marcet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marcet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:22 pm

+1 for Gantry!
"If you wish to bake an apple pie from scratch.
You must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 pm

hello Marcet

you convince me
Marcet wrote:+1 for Gantry!
i have had a look at it . and now i am overwhelmed

i ve installed the gantry-template on my joomla 3.15

i now look to find the gantry-framework-template-manager - where is it

can somebody advice

i look forward
btw - if you want to help out - just write a pm and i can provide you the data to login the fresh installed site - then you can have a closer look at all.

thx inadvance! greetings ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
regards un-leash,
a big fan for ++ 11 years now: With Joomla you can easily create and extend your website: see the site, that offers you ideas & modules - extensions.joomla.org - it lists over 4000 extensions

Marcet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marcet » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:28 pm

To find the Gantry Template manager, simply open the Gantry Template in Joomla Template Manager.

Like you've done in your second screenshot.

unleash_it
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by unleash_it » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 pm

Hello & Bonjour Marcet,

well i have installed Gantry - but the second screenshot is taken from the screencast-video that i have seen on the gantry-framework-developersite.

unfortunatley i cannot get such a site - and such an overview on the website.

Well i need some one that takes a look at the backend of the site - perhaps i have forgotten something....

any one who is willing to help me - just mail via pm
i can give you the access to the backend

many many thanks in advance
greetings
regards un-leash,

Marcet
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marcet » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 am

Just below the link you've used to download Gantry Framework, you will find a link to download a Gantry Basic Template.

You can also go to www.rockettheme.com, as they've got one or two free Gantry Templates.

nottsjoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nottsjoomla » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:59 am

Another one you might be interested in http://joomlapure.com

I'm also bias so will just let you read what it does.

Standard joomla admin interface and core code but does rely on a plugin for some of the seo options.
Anchor links are not allowed in signature. See Forum Rules for details: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

mikeyjay
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mikeyjay » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:47 pm

Let me recommend http://joomlatemplates.me/

Beautiful and easy to use templates. Their support is also very helpful and patient.

gianhangdn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by gianhangdn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:35 am

Free templates joomla 3 collection

1. JSN Pixel – Free Joomla 3.0 Template
2. Medicom – Business joomla template
3. JM Lifestyle – Free Joomla 3.0 Template
4. JSN Boot – Free Joomla 3.0 Template
5. JF Architec Design – Architect Joomla Template
6. JF Well Benessere – Spa Joomla Template
7. JF Relaxio – Hotel Joomla Template

bomkallo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bomkallo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:52 pm

The template is repeatable thing. If you're really interested in web design you will do it by yourself! (Just use proper framework)
Good luck!

diceni
I've been banned!

Post by diceni » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Hello guys! In your opinion, is better than using a Joomla! Templates ready and I'll edit it to look like that?
Or should I use a framework?
Or do I design my own Joomla! Templates from scratch?
thank you.

SGH-
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SGH- » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:19 pm

diceni wrote:Hello guys! In your opinion, is better than using a Joomla! Templates ready and I'll edit it to look like that?
Or should I use a framework?
Or do I design my own Joomla! Templates from scratch?
thank you.
In my opinion there are so many good themes available (free or paid ones) that its so much easier to choose something and edit it for you needs. Its easy with all these framework templates.

You can look this list to find some of the best free premium Joomla themes:
http://www.jooexplorer.com/free-premium ... emes-2013/
http://www.jooexplorer.com/ - Find the Best Templates for Your Joomla Site!

pietrovalocchi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pietrovalocchi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:49 pm

Do you know where to find statistics about joomla templates in terms of number of installations?

ADvanceref
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ADvanceref » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:04 am

Toutes les informations sur le rachat de crédit, 1RachatCredit.fr : www.1RachatCredit.fr. Pour le referencement de votre site internet, faites appel à une agence web.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm

ADvanceref wrote:Smartone is a good one : http://joomlathemes.co/demo3x/smartone
i totally disagree with you, i would never use a malicious template that is loaded with spam
function jlink() {
$host = substr(hexdec(md5($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'])),0,1);
$url1 = "http://spam.org/";
$text1 = array("Joomla Templates","Joomla Free Template","Joomla 3.1 Templates","Joomla 3.5 Templates", "Gratis Joomla Template","Plantillas Joomla Gratis","Download Joomla","Custom Joomla Theme","Joomla Vorlagen", "Download Joomla Templates");
$url2 = "http://spam.com/spam-review/";
$text2 = array("spamReviews","spamHosting","spamCoupon","spamComplaints", "spamReview","spamHosting Review","spam","spam.com","User Reviews spam", "spamReviews");
echo "<a target='_blank' title='Joomla Templates' href='".$url1."'>".$text1[$host]."</a> by <a target='_blank' title='spam' href='".$url2."'>".$text2[$host]."</a>";
}
?>
nor from a developer team who do the same despicable practice
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

pietrovalocchi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pietrovalocchi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:36 am

Can you suggest a responsive template or menu extension with more than 2 levels of horizontal (not drop down) sub-menus and hover effect?
I'm trying to use Gantry, but it allows only one main menu and one level split submenu
Last edited by pietrovalocchi on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ADvanceref
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ADvanceref » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:57 pm

mandville wrote:
ADvanceref wrote:Smartone is a good one : http://joomlathemes.co/demo3x/smartone
i totally disagree with you, i would never use a malicious template that is loaded with spam
function jlink() {
$text1 = array("Joomla Templates","Joomla Free Template","Joomla 3.1 Templates","Joomla 3.5 Templates", "Gratis Joomla Template","Plantillas Joomla Gratis","Download Joomla","Custom Joomla Theme","Joomla Vorlagen", "Download Joomla Templates");
$text2 = array("spamReviews","spamHosting","spamCoupon","spamComplaints", "spamReview","spamHosting Review","spam","spam.com","User Reviews spam", "spamReviews");
echo "<a target='_blank' title='Joomla Templates' href='".$url1."'>".$text1[$host]."</a> by <a target='_blank' title='spam' href='".$url2."'>".$text2[$host]."</a>";
}
?>
You're right. I didn't see it.
Toutes les informations sur le rachat de crédit, 1RachatCredit.fr : www.1RachatCredit.fr. Pour le referencement de votre site internet, faites appel à une agence web.

renDS
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by renDS » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Oneweb gets my vote. Been using it for a year or so now. Totally lightweight, sassed up aceness.. :eek:
Last edited by imanickam on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the offending language. Please do not repeat this in the future.

2mino
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 2mino » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:56 pm

ADvanceref wrote:
mandville wrote:
function jlink() {
}
?>
You're right. I didn't see it.
I recently upgraded to Joomla! 3.2
Which is better to use templates for your site? The default Joomla template, or use the Framework?
http://babya.ir/
http://karajab.ir/replacement-water-filters/ - تعویض فیلتر دستگاه تصفیه آب

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:43 am

mandville wrote:i totally disagree with you, i would never use a malicious template that is loaded with spam
Wow! Thanks for catching this. I was so close to almost using one of their templates for a client of mine. A reminder to us all that we gotta watch what free stuff we get.

kardinol
I've been banned!

Post by kardinol » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 pm

I just found some hidden links when i was looking in the source code for a site i am building i Joomla when i found som hidden spam links.
I have used an hour trying to find them within some of the template files without luck. the links are following (from html source code):

<div id="jxtc-zt"><a href="http://magical-place.ru/" target="_blank" 
title="достопримечательности Европы">достопримечательности Европы</a></br><a 
href="http://joomla-master.org/" target="_blank" title="шаблоны Joomla 3.5">шаблоны  Joomla
3.5</a></div>
And this:

</div><div id="jxtc-zt"><a href="http://battlefield4.com.ua/" target="_blank" 
title="Battlefield 4">Battlefield 4</a><br><a href="http://www.absolut.vn.ua/" 
target="_blank" title="минеральные воды">минеральные воды</a></div></div></div>
Have you any suggestions how to find out where they are created?
It is probably obfuscated in some way?
Thanks

Josh Lewis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Josh Lewis » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:26 pm

I think your site was hacked! >:( I've had something similar happen to me less than a year ago. I had to completely remake my site and port the data over. I didn't want to risk bits and pieces being else where.

Assuming you don't want to go that route, you need to look at the surrounding page elements to get a better idea of where the code is injected within. To test if it's within the template, change the template and see if this code appears. If there is no code on another template, then the code has been injected within your site files! >:(

Joomla 3.3 is coming around the corner, perhaps when some files are over written it might take out the code that is doing this. Just maybe...

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”