Protostar not responsive

Everything to do with Joomla! 3.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Protostar not responsive

Post by Gany » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:40 am

I'm working on the Protostar template. What I want to do is pretty simple, but it doesn't work for me:
I want to add a bootstrap 2 theme, in this case Cerulean, to it. That works, but the template is no longer responsive. Obviously, I do something wrong, but what?

1- I use the default Protostar template.
2- I added the cerulean theme as bootstrap.min.css to my template CSS.
3- After that line, I added my own template.css.

Result: the theme works fine but no longer responsive.

xfsgpr
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Protostar not responsive

Post by xfsgpr » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:02 am

Gany wrote:I'm working on the Protostar template. What I want to do is pretty simple, but it doesn't work for me:
I want to add a bootstrap 2 theme, in this case Cerulean, to it. That works, but the template is no longer responsive. Obviously, I do something wrong, but what?

1- I use the default Protostar template.
2- I added the cerulean theme as bootstrap.min.css to my template CSS.
3- After that line, I added my own template.css.

Result: the theme works fine but no longer responsive.
Are you telling us that these two additional CSS files are added after the MAIN Protostar template.css file in your index.php file? If so are you surprised that Protostar is no longer responsive?

One of the things you should learn is that any subsequent styles bearing the same ID, class or HTML tag that were defined before it are over-ridden by it. Now as this is the case in your scenario. I am afraid to say that you have to remove those two styles and tell us what exactly were you trying to achieve by inserting those two style sheets. There is absolutely no need to include the entire external style sheets. You copy and paste the relevant bit you are interested in but you have to understand that styles working for one template may not necessarily work for another because the HTML tags are like to be different and used for something else. You need to plan before doing anything to websites.

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:36 am

I am surprised, because that's how it is supposed to work. And it does: I used a different template, and in that one this works perfect. The difference is that in the other template bootstrap.css and bootstrap.min.css are in the template, not in Joomla itself.

I know the bootstrap files in Joomla are a bit modified. There is a complete tutorial explaining how to modify Protostar. Most likely, if I add the theme I want in Protostar, that conflicts with the modified Bootstrap. Hence my question.

adonismedia
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by adonismedia » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Whats the url so we can take a look?
Derek Buntin
https://www.facebook.com/adonismedia - Follow us on facebook
http://www.adonismedia.com - Professional Joomla! Development

Gany
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Gany » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:39 am

None, sorry to say. I'm working on Wamp. :-[

adonismedia
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by adonismedia » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:00 am

Well if the template is now unresponsive that would lead me to believe the bootstrap classes and media queries are not loading correctly or not being used, make sure your not duplicating things, the chances are the main container is going to be a fixed width, which will prevent the other sections from collapsing.

It is hard to help diagnose without seeing it though, if you want you could zip it up and send it over to me and i'll load it up and resolve it for you and let you know what went wrong.
Derek Buntin
https://www.facebook.com/adonismedia - Follow us on facebook
http://www.adonismedia.com - Professional Joomla! Development

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 3.x”