[SOLVED] Incremental Backups Restore Unwanted Deleted Files?

Discussion regarding Joomla! 3.x security issues.

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
killerkoz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[SOLVED] Incremental Backups Restore Unwanted Deleted Files?

Post by killerkoz » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:57 am

Hi Forum!

I've been reading through the Security and Performance FAQs and have a question: Do incremental backups restore unwanted deleted files? Let's say, for example, I did a full backup on Sunday night and perform incremental backups on Monday and Tuesday night, where I delete a file during the day on Tuesday. Wednesday comes, catastrophe occurs and I restore my site from the full backup on Sunday and incremental backups from Monday and Tuesday. Does my restored site contain the deleted file? If so, I thought this might be a security concern, e.g. when old extensions are removed from the site and would be good reason to perform full backups (without the deleted file) as often as I could to prevent the deleted file being restored! Thanks in advance for your help,

Cheers, Rob :)
Last edited by killerkoz on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Do Incremental Backups Restore Unwanted Deleted Files?

Post by AMurray » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:10 pm

I've never used Incremental backups only full back up each time, but I would guess, that you could restore only the Tuesday incremental and that would take the site back to working order to that point in time, after you deleted the mentioned files.

Not sure how you restore incremental backups - using Kickstart, or just through the akeeba backup itself (uploading the JPA file etc). In my experience to restore entire site using Kickstart usually requires the full backup JPA file.

But it depends what backup tool you use - Akeeba or something else?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:42 am

Don't use incremental backups. Use Akeebaback Pro up and get a free account at Amazon S3 or Dropbox and load your backups fully automated from Akeeba's cronjob

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:04 am

In all backup applications I know, your restore will indeed contain the deleted file(s) from tuesday during the afternoon. This will normally give you two options:

- remove the file(s) again manually
- if you back-up appliction allows it, do a point in time restore before the file(s) were deleted.

killerkoz
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by killerkoz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate the feedback and advice. Ok, so for the benefit of others, the answer to the question is yes - incremental backups DO restore unwanted deleted files. However, I'm getting the hint that incremental backups are not the best strategy (particularly based on your advice leolam, my site will be small and I've read your posts before, you're one of the Joomla! Gods in my eyes!). I'll go ahead and use Akeeba Backup and DropBox to create full backups (I assume that was the summary of the advice). Thank-you all,

Cheers, Rob

Return to “Security in Joomla! 3.x”