Joomla backend form Post ?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
JohnSmithers
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Joomla backend form Post ?

Post by JohnSmithers » Fri May 27, 2016 8:57 am

Hi

I have an HTML template and happy with my style. I have a contact form but the details are yet to be stored on the database. I could take a free Joomla form, but I am warned about damaging my SEO.

Therefore is there a simple Joomla extension that can just provie me with a script to store the contact data on a database?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Joomla backend form Post ?

Post by AMurray » Fri May 27, 2016 10:19 am

JohnSmithers wrote:I have an HTML template and happy with my style
Is your site a Joomla site?
JohnSmithers wrote:I have a contact form but the details are yet to be stored on the database
Is this contact form a Joomla extension?
JohnSmithers wrote: I could take a free Joomla form, but I am warned about damaging my SEO.
How would using a free extension affect SEO? Not sure I understand your concern.....
JohnSmithers wrote:Therefore is there a simple Joomla extension that can just provie me with a script to store the contact data on a database?
There are many extensions for that purpose. See http://extensions.joomla.org/category/c ... d-feedback but they are only extensions that work in Joomla, not outside that CMS.

Also you could use Fabrik, to create your own simple form for submitting to the Joomla database.
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... rms/fabrik

Hope I haven't misunderstood the point of your question, please clarify the above points. ??? ??? Again, are you building a Joomla site, or is this a static, HTML site, and you want a form-processor for your HTML form to submit the results to a database? If that is the case, Joomla extensions can't be used if you're not developing a Joomla site.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

JohnSmithers
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JohnSmithers » Sat May 28, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi Al.

Thanks for the message. Yes I've built my Joomla site based on an HTML template.

I like the style. At the bottom of "about us" page - the page have up to date with this issue - there is a contact us form. So far I've tried to use basic PHP code with an href to a folder within the website e.g. "templates/tgg101codes/email_form.php" but no matter where I place this I receive a "page not found" notification.

I just basically want that information to be transformed, without adding a full Joomla module, which may change the style (?) which I don't want.

When I go to download "free" joomla forms I am warned that the extension links back to the developer which "can affect my SEO".

Any useful tips appreciated. I know I'm verging out of joomla and into PHP but a simple integration is all I seek.

Thanks again,
Last edited by JohnSmithers on Sun May 29, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Sat May 28, 2016 8:48 pm

JohnSmithers wrote:I just basically want that information to be transformed, without adding a full Joomla module, which may change the style (?) which I don't want.
There must be a thousand ways to skin this cat. Without getting into a debate about using contact forms (one has to be careful because these things are often misused or become "spam-bait"), there are "contact forms" and there are contact forms with hidden traps.

Joomla has a Contacts component as part of the core CMS (see https://docs.joomla.org/Help35:Componen ... s_Contacts). This may suit your purposes (and it may not) but that's the first idea I would try.

Styling the contact form to your site's theme shouldn't be a major problem; it just means spending a bit of time adding some custom CSS rules. Ensuring that the contact form is not abused or becomes "spam-bait" ... ah, that's a topic of its very own. :)

JohnSmithers
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JohnSmithers » Sun May 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Yip. Working through this now. :-)

The issue was Joomla related as the path to the PHP code outside of Joomla is different, which is why the page wasn't found.

And yeah Spam "baiting" - thanks....missed that! ;-)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”