Error building Admin Menus

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Manweb15
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Error building Admin Menus

Post by Manweb15 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:03 am

Hi,
I've taken a copy of an existing live Joomla! 2.5 website and upgraded it to Joomla! 3.1 on a test server. However, when I install any new extensions like JCE Editor, Jumi, etc.. I get the error message 'Error building Admin Menus' and I cannot access them from the Components menu.

All these extensions appear to be Joomla! 3.x compatible so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Any clues as to my problem would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,
Manweb15

Empowermom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Error building Admin Menus

Post by Empowermom » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:22 pm

I am having the same problem with Joomlashine PowerAdmin.
Joomla! Don't design without it.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:19 am

I am having the same problem with widgetkit and zoo (yootheme). Means my site inoperable as I rely on them. Any ideas how to fix? I have gone through the whole trying to delete items from 'YOURDBPREFIX_menu' (though I didn't have anything there relating to these extensions). Even tried adding one and then re-installing. No joy. If anyone has found a solution to this I'd be hugely grateful...
---------------------------------
N

Empowermom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Empowermom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 am

I never figured this one out so I left my offline test site alone for a bit and continued with 2.5.11. When 3.1.1 came out, I downloaded a backup to try again. This time, I upgraded all my extensions first. I believe this is what happened:

Some of the extensions were compatible with 2.5.X/3.X. Some had to be removed and upgraded AFTER the upgrade to 3.1.1. I never had a glitch and the transition was smooth.

So here's the lesson in what I learned. Be sure to review EVERY add-on and make sure it will make the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.1.1. If it isn't built for that version, you'll have to remove and reinstall with a newer 3.X version.

I think most of the "good" extensions are now being written to survive the transition. It depends on the developer. If it doesn't say 2.5.X OR 3.X compatible, rather than a separate version for each, remove it prior to upgrading THEN reinstall.

I'd love to hear how others handled this problem as I understand it was widespread. Perhaps something in 3.1.1 was corrected. I don't know.
Joomla! Don't design without it.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”