Is there a "Joomla best practices" extensions list?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Marvin_Martiano
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Is there a "Joomla best practices" extensions list?

Post by Marvin_Martiano » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi --

I'm making my own module despite lacking a background in programming. This means I'll be hacking together something that will work, and the flaws/problems will be hidden at first sight... Nobody will have an idea how safe it is, until somebody tries to break into it, or some generic attack tool bags it along with thousands of other sites, I guess.

Most didactic modules that you find online or in books are either outdated (Hello, Joomla 3.3!), or insufficient for what I'm after, or not really concerned about security. So what I'm after is some very very simple, well-written modules, plugins and components that are (a) vetted by 'the community' as written according to best practices -- efficiency, clearness/maintainability, and security -- as well as clearly commented so that we can learn from reading through them. So there should be one doing every basic thing: Printing something on-screen, yes, all the 'hello, world' examples do that. And submission forms (with or without a special extension for them), and many other things, but often in a more complicated situation, and rarely convincing (on safety/explanations/...).

So I'd want to see say a module letting the user pass a parameter from the frontend, that then reacts/updates the same page, and nothing else? With well-commented code?

Or failing that -- it's going to be work, both reviewing and writing the samples in the first place -- is there a list of 'recommendably-written modules, simple as can be, that together cover a wide range of possibilities'? So that someone in my shoes can start from a practical list, say 20 things, to sift through with a good hope of finding what we need?

[Alternatively, I can also just exactly describe on this forum what I'm looking for, hoping someone correctly answers --- but then that only helps myself I think.]

Marvin_Martiano
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Is there a "Joomla best practices" extensions list?

Post by Marvin_Martiano » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Cheers! But... not really what I was talking about. The first (2.5 Hello World) I assume is 'best practices' as it's on the official Joomla Docs -- the Github update is probably equally well-written but outside of the gaze of the 'official' joomla sanctioners?

And this is then the very start of a curated list of example: 'Hello World: a module that takes a database entry and displays it'... Any further examples? Like let's say: 'HotOrNot: a module that listens for a keyboard input to display one of two answers'.

For example, I've just got Tim Plummer's 3rd edition of Joomla Extension Development, which is mostly concerned with backend components (and a chapter on security/ common mistakes, which is very helpful).

alikon
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by alikon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:17 pm

The best example IMO is the core code, you can look at modules, plugins and components
Nicola Galgano
i know that i don't know
www.alikonweb.it

Marvin_Martiano
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Marvin_Martiano » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:34 pm

That, sir, is simply a genius idea in its simplicity. I'm kicking myself, I hadn't thought of it at all... It's definitely well-reviewed and best-practices code; maybe it even contains helpful comments.

Only complication is to seek the least-complicated ones, and there'll be interdependencies etc... Yes, I'll be looking at it this night. Thanks again!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”