ChronoForms with PHP 8.0 Stopped Working Topic is solved

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
nokia_kid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

ChronoForms with PHP 8.0 Stopped Working

Post by nokia_kid » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:16 pm

When I updated my joomla to 3.10.11 that was Ok but when I updated my PHP to 8.0 my ChronoForms just stopped working, is there a fix for this ? When I try to select Chronoforms i get this message
An error has occurred.
0 Call to undefined function get_magic_quotes_gpc()
Return to Control Panel

Any help appreciated
Last edited by imanickam on Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic » from General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x to Extensions for Joomla! 3.x. Also, changed the Subject to reflect the Question asked.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: ChronoForms with PHP 8.0 Stopped Working

Post by AMurray » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:17 pm

Joomla works with PHP 8, Chronoforms appears to, per the statement on the developer's website. https://www.chronoengine.com/blog/5336- ... la-4-ready

I would suggest contacting ChronoForms (their support forum) directly stating you have an issue with PHP 8, concerning the specific error above.

Does the error occur with PHP 7.4 (if you can step the PHP version down in your web host)?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:03 am

nokia_kid wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:16 pm
0 Call to undefined function get_magic_quotes_gpc()
That and other Deprecated messages and errors in PHP 8 make ChronoForms 6 incompatible with Joomla 3.10.11. If the website uses PHP 8, you need ChronoForms 7.

A quick test of ChronoForms 7 in Joomla 3.10.11 showed that it works also in PHP 8.1.10, as long as Error Reporting in Global Configuration is set to 'Simple'. Other third party extensions may have issues, though.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Olympe30
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Olympe30 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:48 am

I use CF7 with PHP8.0 on my site. It works, but there are some bugs that I had to fix myself.

Unfortunaly, the developer of CF7 doesn't implement his extension.
It's better to choose another extension for the future.

nokia_kid
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nokia_kid » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:28 am

AMurray wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:17 pm
Joomla works with PHP 8, Chronoforms appears to, per the statement on the developer's website. https://www.chronoengine.com/blog/5336- ... la-4-ready

I would suggest contacting ChronoForms (their support forum) directly stating you have an issue with PHP 8, concerning the specific error above.

Does the error occur with PHP 7.4 (if you can step the PHP version down in your web host)?
No the Chronoforms work fine with PHP 7.4?

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:18 am

According to the FAQ at https://www.chronoengine.com/faqs/76-ch ... 5-greyhead there are work arounds for any issues with ChronoForms v6 and v7 on PHP 8.

Olympe30
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Olympe30 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:18 am

Hi

CF6 works very well with Joomla 3+PHP 7.4. Not tried with PHP8. Doesn't work in Joomla 4.

CF7 works in Joomla3, Joomla 4, under PHP 7.4, PHP8. But there are some bugs and the developer is gone away. So CF7 is not a soluce for the future versions of Joomla and PHP.

Furthermore, you can't upload in CF7 forms downloaded from CF6. You have to rewrite all your forms. And the "language" is différent: not just a copy and paste!

However, I use frequently CF7 because is a real swiss knife!

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:49 am

Yes, I have ChronoForms on about 25 websites with versions back to v4 in some cases which I am rebuilding in Convert Forms before migrating the websites to Joomla 4 and switching to PHP 8.0.

I upgraded a separate website today for a client who is using Breezing Forms and had to perform similar code change updates as the ones for ChronoForms v6 before being able to change to PHP 8.0. The Breezing Forms developer is apparently also away.

Olympe30
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Olympe30 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:45 am

CF7 is more than a form builder.

It's a Database manager. You can create/update/delete personal tables, list/create/update/save records, insert PHP, Javascript, JQuery, etc.

Sometimes, I use CF7 module to complete other extensions, like iCagenda last week!

euoceo
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by euoceo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:03 pm

Edit: This fixed the front-end form, unfortunately I didn't check back-end administrator. That's broken still. Sigh..
I also ended up removing that whole section since the function doesn't exist anyways. Put /* */ around the whole code block. Will work on back-end stuff next when I have time... -Bob

Adding solution incase someone searches on this topic. You've probably already found a solution to Chronoforms 5 and PHP8. CF5 is easily the best version of the chronoforms line and I'd prefer not to upgrade to anything else. Here's the easy fix:

Line 52 and 60 in file ROOT/libraries/cegcore/gcloader.php

52: //if(get_magic_quotes_gpc()){ //add double-slash comment to front of line
60: //} //add double-slash comment to front of line

All this does is always create a function called stripslashes_gpc(), that should have limited affect, if any, to the data input since PHP8 doesn't have a magic quotes option.

If/When I upgrade 25+ sites to Joomla 4, I'll see about making CF5 compatible with J4, assuming someone hasn't already done it.

Best,

-Bob

PS. Chrono line of tools have been sold. The new owners are removing pretty much any posts on their website attempting to fix older versions. There was a thread by one of the most helpful "old-timers"(greyhead) detailing differences and fixes. That's been removed. They basically want you to upgrade to CF7, which in my opinion is an abomination of the chronoform line. Their "free" version is so crippled it's unusable.

IE:
Multi Field is disabled in the free version frontend
Calendar is disabled in the free version frontend
Multi Field is disabled in the free version frontend
Radios is disabled in the free version frontend
ReCaptcha is disabled in the free version frontend
JavaScript is disabled in the free version frontend
CSS is disabled in the free version frontend
This form was created by ChronoForms
Joomla! Web Hosting, Design, and Consulting.
-Bob

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”