Can't create J2Store categories

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 3.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
BronteCreek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can't create J2Store categories

Post by BronteCreek » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:11 am

Been a while since I set up any new categories. Just trying to set up J2 Store and I'm trying to create some new categories. However when I do so and click save the screen just blanks out and freezes. If I then go back to the category listing the item shows but I can not edit it and if I try to delete or unpublish I get a warning message to select a category first! These newly "created" categories also do not have an id number assigned. Seems to be some issue with creating new lines in the table. Any ideas on where to look or what to check? I can create new articles, menu items without issue (I think!).
Last edited by toivo on Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved, retitled

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Can't create J2Store categories

Post by toivo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:43 am

Are you using Joomla 4 or Joomla 3? According to its JED entry and the download page, J2Store supports only Joomla 3.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

BronteCreek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BronteCreek » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:51 pm

I am on Joomla 3.10.11. II don't think it's a J2 Store issue as I can't create categories, regardless if they are used for J2 Store.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:11 pm

What happens when you try to create a category in J2Store? Are any error messages displayed? What about messages in the PHP error log?

Can you create a new category for Articles?

Please post the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) by following the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that the configuration can be reviewed.

BronteCreek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BronteCreek » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:13 am

J2 Store uses the Joomla Artiicles and Categories so you don't create them "in" J2Store.
I can edit the currently existing categories that are used by articles and they save fine but if I try to create a new one I fail to get the "Category sucessfully created " message, it just goes to a white screen. When i reselect the categories screen the category I created shows up on the list of categories but there is no way to delete or edit it. If I click on the box to unpublish beside the category name I get a warning message to select an item first!

BronteCreek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BronteCreek » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 am

I'm thinking this is a PHP issue as I'd just updated to latest PHP version just a couple of days ago. Other issues are starting to arise now. I was previously able to scroll through and edit Articles but now it will display the first page of articles but if I click on page 2 to display it freezes at the same white screen and I have to back out in the browser. What is the highest version of PHP supported by v 3.10.11 of Joomla?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:51 am

BronteCreek wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:09 am
What is the highest version of PHP supported by v 3.10.11 of Joomla?
The recommended version is PHP 8.0. If you have to use PHP 8.1, set 'Error Reporting' in Global Configuration to 'None', which is the recommended value for live production sites. If you edit the file configuration.php manually, use 'none'.

Please note that older third party extensions may not work with PHP 8.0 and above.

Ref. 1 Technical Requirements
Ref. 2 Optional Technical Requirements

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 3.x”