joomla 3.3.3 on IIS8 security problems

This forum is for issues with installing Joomla! 3.x on IIS webservers.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
gmakridis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

joomla 3.3.3 on IIS8 security problems

Post by gmakridis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi All,

I have a dedicated IIS8 and run a few joomla v3 sites. When I create the subdomain, prior to copying the latest version files for installation, I need to connect via remote desktop, right-mouse click and set permissions to the httpdocs folder, in order for joomla to be able to create configuration.php.

OK, that may not sound like a big deal but when I install a module and new files are copied to that folder, the httpdocs folder and all nested inside get AGAIN the read-only flag and also read only access. So the next module to be installed will fail because of lack of security rights. To fix, I have to repeat the right-mouse click described above and go from the beginning which a pain...

Is there a way to bypass this security problem?

Please advise
Thank you
George M

RedEye
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: joomla 3.3.3 on IIS8 security problems

Post by RedEye » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 pm

It's not a security problem, it's a permission problem which is caused from a bad server configuration.
Read some howto's on server configuration or get yourself a managed server.

gcollier02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: joomla 3.3.3 on IIS8 security problems

Post by gcollier02 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Please make sure that IUSR (assuming you're using the default username for IIS) has write permission to your base joomla install folder and that the permission is inherited by all child folders. -This should get you to where you need to be.

Return to “Joomla! 3.x on IIS webserver”