Viewing Access Levels Not Working

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
wizzbangca
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Viewing Access Levels Not Working

Post by wizzbangca » Wed May 22, 2013 8:45 pm

i am on joomla 3.1.1 trying to setup menus that show different links based on if someone is a guest or logged in. i have a log in menu item set to guest and a log out menu item set to registered. when i an not logged in, both log in and logout show. i have an entire menu set to registered,yet shoes when not lord in. what do i look for to figure out why joomla is ignoring the access levels?

wizzbangca
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Viewing Access Levels Not Working

Post by wizzbangca » Wed May 22, 2013 9:48 pm

I checked the Guest user group settings, which ended up not being set to the Guest group. I changed that, but no go. Here's more problems:

Joomla ignores menu assignments for modules, menus, and menu items.

Joomla still doesn't pay attention to access level settings.

I thought junking up my menus with more menus might help. Instead of having a public menu with a signup link for guests, a log in link for guests, and a log out link for registered users, I created another menu called log out just for registered users that only has the log out link. The log in menu module was changed from public to guest. Didn't work.

wizzbangca
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by wizzbangca » Thu May 23, 2013 1:26 am

Looks like this is a bug. Looks like I am stuck screwing with joomla to fix what shouldn't be broken in the first place, as if I have that kind of time when the site deadline was up 12 hours ago. I have been screwing with this problem for that long.

In case someone decides to fix the bug, here's the problem on a fresh joomla install:
  • Add 2 user groups under Registered: Business and Consumer.
    Add 2 access levels: Business (which has public, registered, and Business groups) and Consumer (which has public, registered, and consumer user groups).
    Create a user, and give the user the business group.
    Create a new menu, add the menu to a new module with public access level.
    Create a new menu item in the new menu labeled "Log In" with guest access level.
    Create a new menu item in the new menu labeled "Log Out" with the registered access level.
    Go to the site's home page, the log in link should show.
    Once logged in, notice the log out link is not shown? Nice part is the log in link is gone. (PROBLEM #1: Where is the link that should be showing?)
    Add "echo print_r($levels);" above line 39 in modules/mod_menu/helper.php. When the page is refreshed, the logged in business user has public, registered, business, and consumer access. (PROBLEM #2, the user was never given consumer access, but magically does).

rfl2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rfl2 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm having a very similar problem in Joomla 3.3. I will post details in a separate post under "Can't hide article from public in joomla 3.3".

Simsan Mallick
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Simsan Mallick » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:31 pm

i'm also getting similar problem on Joomla 3.3.0

stormanf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by stormanf » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:19 am

I want certain menu items to be available only to registered users, but the Joomla 3.3.3 ACL does not work as directed in the documentation which is available. Items appear regardless of whether or not I am logged in.

pilot1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pilot1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Me too, same problem. Sorry, don't have anything to add as of yet. Been hunting all over. I do notice that 3.34 Stable is available. I'm going to try an upgrade to see if ACL straightens out. The funny thing is I have an identical install of the same web on IIS 8.5 on my home server that works just fine. When I moved the site to the Apache server is when my troubles started :(

Blurri
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Blurri » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 pm

I have the same problem. I created a user group "Artists" and a viewing access levels "Artists" with the user group. Added a user to this group and created menu types only for this access level. But when I log in with this user I don't see something -.- ...

Frustrato
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Frustrato » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Is there a free module/plugin that can actually make the user access rights work how they should (in the first place)? I have similar issues with public vs Registered access and the site just not doing what it is CLEARLY set to do. Any ideas are appreciated...

fdxzgr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fdxzgr » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:41 pm

I have the same problem! From 2013 to now, the bug is still not fixed !? :/

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:17 pm

I have the same problem!
What is your specific problem and which Joomla version do you have?
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

fdxzgr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fdxzgr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:54 pm

toivo wrote:What is your specific problem and which Joomla version do you have?
I am using 3.4.1. I created two groups inherit 'Register' group, which are Teacher and Student. And created corresponding Teacher and Student VAL too. And there is a menu item at home page I'd like only available to Teacher. So I configured the menu item's access to 'Teacher'. It end up showing the menu for both Teacher and Student anyway. That looks like VAL doesn't work here...

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:43 pm

Viewing Access Levels work all right and there is nothing unusual in your requirement.

When you created the VAL Teacher, was Teacher the only user group having access to it? Do your Teacher and Student test users belong to other user groups, too?

If you have changed the configuration of user groups and VALs a few times, have you cleared the cache in Joomla and also in the browser? Some template frameworks maintain their own caching system, which requires its own clearing.

fdxzgr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fdxzgr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:34 pm

toivo wrote:Viewing Access Levels work all right and there is nothing unusual in your requirement.

When you created the VAL Teacher, was Teacher the only user group having access to it? Do your Teacher and Student test users belong to other user groups, too?

If you have changed the configuration of user groups and VALs a few times, have you cleared the cache in Joomla and also in the browser? Some template frameworks maintain their own caching system, which requires its own clearing.
Yes, Teacher group is the only group having Teacher VAL; Student group is the only group having Student VAL. Teacher and Student accounts don't belong to any other groups, as I overrided default registration behavior. The only common thing between Teacher and Student is they are both having 'Registered' as parent group. I tried using different level, such as Super to only have Teacher VAL, then the access control works. It looks like a VAL will share permission to their siblings, but I don't think this is expected by Joomla end-users.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:17 am

It looks like a VAL will share permission to their siblings, but I don't think this is expected by Joomla end-users.
The user groups Teacher and Student are siblings because their parent is the user group Registered. Therefore users belonging to either the Teacher or the Student group have access to the same content, menus, menu items etc as the users belonging to the user group Registered, plus any content, menus, menu items etc where the viewing access level is their own, i.e. Teacher or Student. This allows some items like your menu entry to be shown only to the dedicated group because the viewing access levels are mutually exclusive.

You can check that the rules column in the table #_viewlevels is consistent with what you see in User - Access Levels by following these instructions: https://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/ ... er-groups/

It is still important to clear the cache, both in the browser and at the back end of Joomla, possibly also in the template or template framework, and the cookies, too.

If all else fails, according to several posts in these forums, the paid extension ACL Manager has a good track record in fixing possible ACL problems after upgrades from older versions: http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/acl-manager

websolprov
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by websolprov » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Why cant Joomla just integrate the viewing permissions into the same system as the create / edit etc system, the lack of ability to set multiple access levels to the front end is problematic; specially as you should be able to use inheritence properly. Having a single "access" level without the ability to block siblings etc by reverse access rules is a pain in the ass.

https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Access_Con ... _and_Doing

Clearly there is already a permission checking sub-system so why cant it be applied across the board to control all user interaction?

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”