User groups option missing from backend user management

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
schumi1971
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

User groups option missing from backend user management

Post by schumi1971 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 pm

I have encountered a new thing I've never experienced before.
With my Super user the "user groups" option is not available anymore when I add a new user in the backend.
[img]http://image.bayimg.com/20c5dc036046816 ... b1e02b.jpg[/ img]

Also, if I try to change a user pops up the options.
This makes it a bit cumbersome to create new users.
[img]http://image.bayimg.com/b558c4061611902 ... 09d3aa.jpg[/ img]

Can someone help me with a solution?

The problem I am having is with Joomla 3.2.2

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: User groups option missing from backend user management

Post by rcarey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 pm

This is peculiar and something I have not seen before. The straight line above the fields suggest that that layout knows it is supposed to be tabbed, but no tabs are displaying. That could be a CSS problem, or it could be something unusual with your ACL configuration, or even some third-party plugin that is interfering.

I would check a few things. First, look at the source code. Do you see the code for the permissions? If so, then I'd use something like Firefox to see what CSS is hiding that tab name or pane, and then (in Firefox) I'd add some CSS to force the hidden HTML to be display:block;

If you do not see the HTML code for permissions in the page's source code, then I suspect some setting or plugin is causing the problem. Still, I would swap to Hathor to see if that template revealed the tabs in User Manager.

And you can also check to make sure that the layout files for user manager (/administrator/components/com_user/views/user/tmpl/edit.php and edit_groups.php) have not been edited and neither is being overridden.

And that leads to a good chance of recovering... You can always override the layout file to add the groups settings to the group of fields that you do see. The groups settings are generated by a line of code in edit_groups.php. Since you are getting some fields to display, there is a good chance this will work. (Though this approach just steps around the current problem instead of completely resolving it.)

I'm curious about this, so if you try any of these, please report back.
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

schumi1971
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by schumi1971 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:06 pm

I managed to find a solution completely random.
One of the first things I did was to overwrite all the files, with a full joomla package. This didn`t work.
When there was no answer from the forum on Wednesday, I tried to debug some more the same evening.
Therefore, I tried again to copy files, but this time only those files that have to do with users.
Suddenly it was spinning perfect again :D
Why it didn`t work out when I tried with the full package I do not know, it was the same files I extracted from it last night.
But I'm glad that mystery is solved.

Thanks @rcarey for giving me some solution advice.

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:43 pm

...and thanks for the response. It seems one of your com_users files got damaged somehow. Seems likely the damage was in a layout file, and the update might not touch that. All it takes is an extra character added by an accidental tap on the keyboard while you were editing that file - and a whole block of HTML could be rendered useless.
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”