Weird error with Joomla 3.3.1 ACL's

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Rayvenhaus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Weird error with Joomla 3.3.1 ACL's

Post by Rayvenhaus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:16 pm

I have a site that is a fresh install of Joomla 3.x It's is a production site running in an A2 Hosting VPS.

Template
Rockettheme Vermilion v1.0

The following components are installed:
Jomsocial v3.2.0.5
JChatSocialPro v2.2
AcyMailing v4.7.1
Admin Tools v3.0.2
Akeeba Backup v3.11.2
AutoTweetNG v7.3.0
GAnalytics v3.2.1
JCE Editor v2.3.4.4
JEvents v3.1.27
JSiteMap v1.0.4
Kunena Forum v3.0.5
RokCandy (Unknown)
Saxum Picker 3.1.3
ZhGoogleMaps v5.6.0.1
art-timeline v1.9.22
extplorer v2.1.5

I have several Groups and ACL's created:
Groups
Public 1
|— Guest 9
|— Manager 2 6
|—|— Administrator 3 7
|— Registered 9 2
|—|— Author 2 3
|—|—|— Editor 3 4
|—|—|—|— Publisher 3 5
|—|— Sanctuary 8 10
|—|—|— Coven 8 15
|—|—|— Guardian Poster 2 14
|—|—|— Guardians 7 11
|—|—|— Warriors 3 13
|—|—|— Witches 6 12
|— Super Users

ACL's
Level Name ID
Coven 9
Guardians 5
Guest 8
Public 1
Registered 2
Sanctuary 4
Special 3
Warriors 7
Witches 6

The problem is that users are having their groups randomly reset. For example, I hosted a chat session with 6 users. All of the users had the following groups assigned to them:
Registered
Sanctuary
Coven
Guardians
Witches

No one visited any page other than the home page and sat in the chat room. At the end of the chat session each of the users that were only ended up with only one random group set, all the others that had been set were gone.

I have tried running debug on the system but it mainly brings the system to it's knees before displaying the output and I can find nothing other than some queries that appear to delete a users group mapping and then recreate them and it appears to be coming from the main Joomla code.

I'm willing to work with anyone that thinks they can help me track this down.

wwtn
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Weird error with Joomla 3.3.1 ACL's

Post by wwtn » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:11 pm

Given the number of Joomla third party extensions you have installed and running in your website, you might start by taking a look at the Joomla extension below which is designed to help clean up problematic ACL issues:

JED (Joomla Extensions Directory) - "ACL Manager"

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... trol/17951

The above extension is very useful for cleaning up errant or problematic ACL issues. Not suggesting that using "ACL Manager" alone will solve all of your ACL related problems, but it will likely ensure that at least your Joomla installation's ACL related tables will be correct.

Jim
Worldwide TeleNet - Joomla! Website Design & Web Development
Cincinnati - Northern Kentucky - USA
https://www.facebook.com/wwtndesign
http://www.wwtelenet.com/about-us/why-choose-us.html

Rayvenhaus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Rayvenhaus » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks for the info, I purchased the component and it found a bunch of errors in the assets tables and a few other things. Using it did show me something though.

When looking at a user with ACL Manager, I see that all the expected User Groups are "Assigned" to the user I am viewing. If I go and look at the user with Joomla's User Manager, The group are not showing up as "Checked" as expected.

If I check the groups again in the User Manager and save the record, then view it again, the correct groups appear as "checked".

So, my question is, why? Why does ACL Manager show the correct groups, yet User Manager does not?

Rayvenhaus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Rayvenhaus » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Update, the system is still erasing groups assigned to users. I'm going to try a fresh install and NOT user the rocket launcher from RocketTheme and see if I get the same errors.

Rayvenhaus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Rayvenhaus » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:28 am

I had no choice but to drop back to Joomla 2.5.x. No matter what I did, the user groups would get randomly deleted from users making my site unusable. I am now running Joomla 2.5.x with all of the above components and everything is working fine. I'm afraid to upgrade the system to Joomla 3.x for fear that it will start happening again and no one will be able to figure it out and all the 3rd party developers will point fingers at each other.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”