Global Configuration page not saving anything, slow refresh

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
peter132
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Global Configuration page not saving anything, slow refresh

Post by peter132 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:15 am

Joomla 3.3.1 hosted on a shared service at HostMonster, used Mojo to install with MySQL.

I change something on the Global Configuration and save it. The page is refreshed within a second or two with the old data, not the change. It then runs for many seconds, ~10-15, and finally fully refreshes - the last things to paint appear to be the red and green yes/no toggles. I do not think the database is updated - if I change the editor, then edit an article, I continue to see the former editor, not the one I attempted to change to.

So, what was I doing prior to noticing this failure of Global Configuration? I had added about 60 user groups and close to that many access lists and about 30 categories, although as of yet, not many articles or users. Therefore, most of the user access stuff is still unused. I also did install JCE.

I have reviewed the browser source code, but am not sure what everything is. I have also reviewed various *.php files in the directories of Joomla looking for signs of a virus, but nothing looks suspicious. I have experience cleaning up viruses I have using other CMSs. Different browsers produce the same result. I have cleared the caches of the browsers and of Joomla. I probably did other stuff over the last day and a half too, but I do not remember it all.

I'm hesitant to even say (I don't want to misdirect people), but I'm wondering if the time delay after most of the page is painted has to do with the building of the filter and permission stuff (for the filter and permission tabs) due to having so many user groups and ACLs. Nonetheless, how does that explain the real problem of updates not being saved? I can be patient.

I wanted to ask the group prior to undoing the work I did to create the 150 or so categories, user groups, ACLS. It was a boring, laborious time consuming process in the back end UI. I do not know Joomla well enough to be comfortable just pushing this stuff into the DB using SQL - I'm not sure all the points of the DB that might need updating. This is my first Joomla site. Also, I have to admit I tried it a couple or few years ago and gave up. I'm getting much further this time. Thanks in part of great [youtube] tutorials - I just wish I could run them at 1.3x speed :)

On a side note: For many user groups, I have a daughter group with the word Edit concatenated to the end. The one group can view the article, the other group can view and create, edit, etc the article. I am missing a Joomla concept here? I fear I am. I have 22 facilities of different people and 8 committees of different people. Each facility and committee will have their own blog, visible only to them (members of the group) and editable by a subset of the members of that group. Of course a bunch of other stuff is going on, but the redundancy of my work dealing with these facility and committee specific blogs makes me think there might be a better way of dealing with users, groups, ACLs and permissions than I am. Thanks for advice - maybe I should have put this in a separate post, but I think the implementation of my (possibly ill conceived) design of groups, ACLs and permissions, might have created this failure I am witnessing.

Help! and thanks

Peter

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Global Configuration page not saving anything, slow refr

Post by leolam » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:09 am

Have you checked how many domains are hosted on that particular server? What is your IP and domain?

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

peter132
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peter132 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:34 pm

I have several WordPress sites and a very active moodle site that work well. The domain is chalogis.com.

peter132
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peter132 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:35 pm

UPDATE:
So I deleted a bunch of user groups. Was ~120, now 27. Problem solved. The configure page is far from instantaneous, but ok, ~4 second, response time. And most important, changes are actually saved.

I noticed, while scanning source code that a lot of chasing lists is done around users, groups, ACLs and permissions. I'm guessing there is chasing of chases of chases in some cases. user*guess*ACL or worse, but I have not looked for that in the code. No other site I have used with this host has given me performance problems - unless I was inflicted with a virus. Seems some hashing might be in order or rethinking algorithms in general.

What is the largest number of user groups people have?

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Peter,
Please checkout JCH Optimize http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ance/12088 from the extension directory. For US$ 5 it will help you tremendously!

Leo )
Last edited by leolam on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:20 pm

Peter,
I am going to post an issue to my fellow BugSquad Peers related to this issue since I am absolutely aware where this 'hickupup' is coming from and I will post asap a link for you to follow

Posted: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... PnGs8KaM7E

Leo 8)

peter132
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peter132 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:44 am

Thanks for the help Leo!

dennisaijoomla
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dennisaijoomla » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:17 pm

I have a membership site with about 400 user groups and there's absolutely no question that much of the Joomla admin slows down when "drawing" these groups. Articles, modules, menus, and especially global config... all painfully slow on a super fast net with speed demon computer.

Is there ANY WAY to suppress the loading of the groups on these admin pages? I'm desperate.

peter132
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by peter132 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:23 am

Dennis, I wish I had better news, but I continue to suffer with this. The terrible thing is that they load the permissions data every time the global configuration page is brought up, even though I and I would guess most people rarely use it. This is not good implementation.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”