How to set up two access levels for front end registered use

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
Amongthegums
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

How to set up two access levels for front end registered use

Post by Amongthegums » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:50 am

Hi
Up front, I am really struggling trying to come to terms with Joomla's ACL. We have invested in a "ACL management" component which has eased some of the pain. However, I then realised that most of the discussion and tutorials and help were focused on setting permission for levels of (backend) administration (editing, authouring, publishing etc).

What we simply want is two levels of logged in frontend viewing access. No "creating", no editing, no authoring etc. So by example,

Registered Users
> Club Members

Registered users are basic "Registered" users

Club members can see everything assigned to registered user PLUS articles etc assigned to "Club Members". But "Club Members" should not be "Special".

Can someone point me to an understandable, plain english, non overwhelming text on how to do that?

Yours in despair, with thanks

DaveOzric
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: How to set up two access levels for front end registered

Post by DaveOzric » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:00 am

Good start with ACL Manager. You do meant this http://extensions.joomla.org/extension/acl-manager right? If not this is what you want.

You can simply copy the registered group and adjust their permissions in ACL Manager. Do this on category or article level by opening that user group. I do this quite often and love this extension for that reason.

Just open the registered group and save as copy, give new name, then adjust in ACL manager to your needs. The developer will help you if you get stuck. He has stellar support.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”