setting up new Viewing Access Levels

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gilbertstudios
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

setting up new Viewing Access Levels

Post by gilbertstudios » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:14 am

perhaps i'm missing something here...

i want to create a few new Viewing Access Levels to restrict viewing access to several categories and articles.

...just using one as an example...

i created a new "Teams" user group (under Registered) and a "Teams" viewing access level (assigned to Administrator, Teams and Super Users), and then assigned the "Teams" category to the new Teams access level.

(...everything else...the article and menu options themselves are set to Public for simplicity. i was thinking it would be simplest to control it all within the category, and assign the articles to the particular categories... is this not the best way?)

logging in as my super user admin, i cannot see the article...! it just displays.... "You are not authorised to view this resource"

if i change the category access to "registered" or "super users", then i can see it just fine... but put it back to "Teams" and i get the error again.

(again note -- i even specifically have "super users" selected in the "Teams" viewing access level also!)

something isn't adding up.

what am i missing?

thank you so much,

Jay44
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: setting up new Viewing Access Levels

Post by Jay44 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:29 am

Hi Gilbertstudios

I have found your post because I am experiencing the same issue I think.

I seem to have read that "viewing access" is *not* inherited, and so if I added my super user to the new group based on "registered" then they can see the restricted article.

Like you, if I change the articles access level to "Registered" then the Super User can see it without being *in* the group Registered. The newly created group, has Registered as a parent.

It seems wrong to me that a Super User is restricted from viewing anything.

??

Can an expert please explain what we have missed?

Jay
"Things not being necessary is what makes life interesting" -- Stephen Fry
This is necessary - http://docs.joomla.org/

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”