Can this be done by user login??

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
pambesteder
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Can this be done by user login??

Post by pambesteder » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:54 pm

I have 10 departments and 10 department leaders

I'm using 1 website and want each of the 10 leaders to be able to login to the front end and create content for THEIR GROUP ONLY to view.

However...I don't want them to have to choose that group when they create the content...I want it to just happen based upon their login.

For instance

Training department head logs in and creates an article to be shown on the first page.
In the article set-up there'[s an option for ACCESS.
Normally, you would just click the drop-down and choose the TRAINING group.

Is it possible for that article to be AUTOMATICALLY assigned to a specific group without the user having to choose it? Sometimes they forget and the entire world sees their content.

if we can make it automatically happen ...that would be great.

Is it possible?

Pam

sozzled
I've been banned!

Re: Can this be done by user login??

Post by sozzled » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:08 pm

Short answer to your question is yes, it's possible. It's a fairly straightforward process involving the use of Joomla ACL groups. Can I write a step-by-step procedure manual for you and post it here in the forum? Sorry, but I don't really have the luxury of that much time on my hands. I can, on the other hand, provide one-on-one tuition via a video link.

I'm sure, however, that one of the experts can point you to where there may be a "step-by-step" instruction guide. Good luck. 8)

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:50 am

Create a Category for each Department. Give each Department Leader the Create and Edit State Permissions to the Category. If the user have create permission to only one Category, the Category Select will not be shown.

moozark
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by moozark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:27 pm

I have a different scenario and would appreciate the "Joomla Masters" help on this:

I have a national site and used GroupJive to create categories for each state, so 50 of them.
Then I added 6 groups under each state (replicated X 50!)
A registered user joins one or more of these groups. For any new additional sub-groups that need to be added, I have the user that will own that group send a request. The group is setup by admin and then that user is assigned as the owner. (I don't expect this to happen often)

Now I need to setup Joomla user groups for the supervisory members of each state that will receive and approve or disapprove articles submitted by registered users of that group. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. Do I create a parent that has the correct permissions and then add all 50 states under that and then the separate groups underneath that.
Example:

Author
-Alabama (state director)
--Group 1 (group moderator)
--Group 2, etc.

I'm trying to divide up the workload appropriately resulting in the correct notifications to the right person.

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:07 pm

moozark wrote:I have a different scenario ...
You are corrent; yours is an entirely different scenario.
moozark wrote:I have ... used GroupJive ...
Let's halt here. I haven't used GroupJive; the only thing I know about GroupJive is that it was developed by the same people who developed Community Builder and the developers have a support forum to handle questions like yours. So, really, the first question is this: when you asked the developers your question, what was their response?

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”