User permissions reconfiguration

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
moodog4rg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

User permissions reconfiguration

Post by moodog4rg » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:15 pm

Hello:

I need the ability to create a new user type called Super Super User (for example) and restrict Super Users so they do not have the ability to install extensions or modify existing users.

Is this possible? If so, what steps do I need to take?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by toivo on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from 3.x General Questions

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: User permissions reconfiguration

Post by toivo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:23 pm

Couldn't you use the existing user group Administrator and edit its permissions? That would be definitely easier.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

moodog4rg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by moodog4rg » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:51 pm

I could but the client whose websites I host have a bunch of users who already have Super User permissions.

I don't want my client to be able to grab the database for every site and move them over to another host leaving me holding the bag.

I appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thank you in advance.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:40 pm

Super Users is a special user group in Joomla with the highest permissions. Trying to limit their permissions in ACL configuration may produce unpredictable results.

It is of course possible to create another user group with equal or less rights, call it what you want, and move existing administrators there. However, suggest that any restrictions and changes in Super User permissions would need to be tested on a copy of the live site hosted in a development environment before introducing changes in Production.

Here are links to an ACL tutorial in Joomla 3.x and also to two articles from the Joomla Community Magazine about role based access control, if you want to review your client's workflow requirements. The articles were published several years ago but the principles are still the same:

J3.x Access Control List Tutorial
A Case for Role-Based ACL
Implementing Role-Based ACL
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”