Backend access possible but 403 error shown Topic is solved

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
alve89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Backend access possible but 403 error shown

Post by alve89 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:52 am

Hello all together!

I'm a bit confused about an 403 error in the backend and I hope you can help here:

What I want:
  • Grant access to the backend - works
  • Show backend correctly - problem
  • Grant access to only one component - works
What I did:
I allow the user group Admin_Test backend access but no general permissions, because I set them in the specified component. Even if I allow Access Administration Interface, the user could only access all areas (content administration, user administration, components, extensions, ...) but the control panel itself would still throw a 403 error. Only with the permission Super User the backend is shown correctly - which setting I don't want to set (due to obvious reasons).

What I get:
As you can see, the specified user group can access a specified component only (here: JEvents). But the control panel isn't shown properly (403), altough the modules visibility are set correctly.

How can I manage to grant access to the backend without the 403 error for the "control panel content"? I can't see any module that would be responsible for that (although the permissions of the administration-modules are set to "registered").

Thanks in advance for any help!

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Backend access possible but 403 error shown

Post by AMurray » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:23 am

I would use the default permissions with the default user groups - does the site work then?

I can't quite read the screenshot, but it seems to show "Admin_test" as a child of "Registered" not as a child of "super users" (or of any user group permitted to use functions in the back-end) - that may explain it.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

alve89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alve89 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:41 am

I can't use the default settings because they don't exist anymore.

But I tried your point with the heritage. Now Admin_Test is child of Admin_System (which in fact is a Super User).

The result is still the same (except of the additional areas the user can access now, I would need to remove the permissions for every single component the user is not allowed to access):

sozzled
I've been banned!

Post by sozzled » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:49 pm

alve89 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:41 am
I can't use the default settings because they don't exist anymore.
G'day, @alve89.

I understand the problems that can be caused when people change J!'s ACL settings and find that they're unable to do what they used to be able to do.

I've searched the internet for a simple tutorial that shows people how to "reset" the ACL viewing access back to their original state. It would be nice if there was a "reset to factory defaults" button available but, unfortunately there isn't.

The principles are fairly straightforward but require some technical knowledge and familiarity with a DB management tool like phpMyAdmin. There are tools available on the JED (e.g. ACL Manager) but I have not used them and I have no recommendations about them. When problems like this occur, I export the ACL-related tables from a working J! 3 website and import them into the broken J! website.

The ACL-related tables you will need to look at are:

_usergroups
_viewlevels

Additionally, you may need to modify entries in the table

_user_usergroup_map

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:28 pm

It's look like you have not given the usergroup access inside the component JEvents.

alve89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alve89 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:04 am

@sozzled: I know that way but it's very uncomfortable that using the permission settings you want / need according to your organizations structure and it doesn't work properly. So you don't have a solution for how to set the permissions the way it works as expected?

@Per Yngve Berg: I'm actually not sure why you come to this result? JEvents is, as shown, available and choosable in the components menu list. What doesn't work is the normal control panel with all it's backend-modules. If it was a modules permissions problem, there would not be shown "Fehler" (= error) in the red background title bar.

alve89
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alve89 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 am

I think I found the problem - the error is raised by a component (Perfect Publisher). I'll contact the support for bug fixing.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 3.x”