Cant disable account registration emails

Did you find a bug in Joomla! 3.x but aren't sure? This forum is the place to help figure out if the problem is a bug and how to report it. If you are an experienced Joomla! user and are certain that you have found a bug please use the Bug Tracker to submit your issue.
This forum is for discussion about bugs and to get help with reporting them to the Bug Tracker: https://issues.joomla.org

Moderator: ooffick

Forum rules
Please use the official Bug Tracker to report a bug: https://issues.joomla.org
AliciaR
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Cant disable account registration emails

Post by AliciaR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:27 pm

While testing my website i have tried to disable sending emails on new account creation as it just throws a php mail failed error. It seems however that it is impossible to disable the emails. I have the following settings...

User Manager > Send Password = No
User Manager > New User Account Activation = none
User Manager > Notification Mail to Administrators = No

So this should stop sending verification and alerts by email, but when trying to create an account the user gets a blue notice saying "Could not instantiate mail function" and a orange warning saying "Registration failed: An error was encountered while sending the registration email. A message has been sent to the administrator of this site." Also this message states that registration failed, but it does create the user account!

I have also tried this with the global send mail disabled, which adds an additional notice saying "The mail function has been temporarily disabled on this site, please try again later." and again the account is created even though its telling the user it wasn't.

Thanks

FlashRebel

Re: Cant disable account registration emails

Post by FlashRebel » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi,

it is bc. also with this setting, user receive email after registration, that ''Thank you .... he can login now.''

Try ''NO'' for ''Send email'' under Mail settings in Global configuration of Joomla.
Or if for testing php mail function does not work, use smtp and put there some gmail account ...

AliciaR
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Cant disable account registration emails

Post by AliciaR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 pm

As i said in my first post, i did try to disable the global mail option but that just says they cant create an account and to try later. In all cases the user is told that no account was created but an account IS created. I got round it with using SMTP as you suggested but i still believe this is a bug. Well two bugs if you include the notices about failed account creation when one is successfully created.

Thanks

Return to “Joomla! 3.x Bug Reporting”