Lack of print button: problems with tabs

General questions relating to Joomla! 4.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Toffi2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Lack of print button: problems with tabs

Post by Toffi2 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:21 pm

I am running a large information site. It transpires that our subscribers were lovers of the Print button. Since migrating to Joomla 4 we are now fielding at least one request a day for a Print button and getting a lot of complaints that our newly given suggestion of just highlighting text and printing does not work. The reason why that suggestion fails is that we use a lot of Tabs as our articles can be long. Our users now have to move to each tab to print off the text as Ctl Pr just prints off the whole image in the browser, menus, banners and all.
Our users are clearly sharing and filing away our articles. I can see why they want to do that. They want to preserve what they see on a page as a snap shot in time. This is vital to the way that they work, they might need to rely on that as evidence in say 4 to 6 year's time.
I would be most grateful for any suggestions as how to remedy this issue, aside from losing the tabs that is!

zzz412
I've been banned!

Re: Lack of print button: problems with tabs

Post by zzz412 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:38 pm

There is no "print" button in Joomla 4. This is because people use the print function included in the browser. If it is "vital" for you to have a "print" button in your Joomla website, use Joomla 3.

Another alternative is to convert your articles into PDF format. There are extensions that can do this (I think).

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:45 am

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:04 am

zzz412 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:38 pm
If it is "vital" for you to have a "print" button in your Joomla website, use Joomla 3.
This is poor advice.

1. Joomla 3 is EoL
2. The OP is already on Joomla 4. There is no downgrade path other than rebuilding a site.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Toffi2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Toffi2 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:39 pm

Thank you for your comments. Downgrading to Joomla 3 is not a viable option at all. It would be easier to move platform.
I have made you an example of a page which shows the issue. Browsers can't print out tabs.
https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/essential- ... ent-status

Converting to PDF is not really what we want here. I have found a discussion about this issue elsewhere which recommends creating a CSS file with a Javascript solution. It's is so sad to have lost the print function and accessibility issues have been raised. You never know how much you miss things until they are gone.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:16 pm

It's still there. Add "tmpl=component" to URL to show component only without modules.

Toffi2
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Toffi2 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:12 am

Thank you @Per Yngve Berg
Adding ?tmpl=component to the end of my example page URL https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/essential- ... ent-status
Does strip out the menus etc but not the tabs. Thank you for introducing that. Sadly, the people who are making the complaints want to print without the tabs. I do wish the print function would return.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:29 am

You need to modify component.php or roll your own like print.php.

Omit the loading of the Accordion Menu.

Code: Select all

<link href="https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/essential-know-how/171-employment-status" rel="canonical">
	<link href="/templates/webiedesign/favicon.ico" rel="icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon">
<link href="/media/tabsaccordions/css/style.css?bf0c118b3db1f6bc50baf8a404ca6535" rel="stylesheet" data-asset-name="tabsaccordions.style" />
	<link href="/media/tabsaccordions/css/theme-minimal.css?bf0c118b3db1f6bc50baf8a404ca6535" rel="stylesheet" data-asset-name="tabsaccordions.theme-minimal" />

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 4.x”