Installation fails for PHP 8.2 Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 4.x? For all Joomla! 4.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
DannyBoy60
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installation fails for PHP 8.2

Post by DannyBoy60 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:14 am

Hello everybody,

sorry to swear in church, but I am trying to install Joomla 4/5 on Windows 11 using IIS, on localhost.
This should work, shouldn't it? But it does not.

Versions:
PHP 8.2.10
IIS 10
Joomla 4.3 and 5.0

0. Preconditions
I set read/write rights on whole joomla subtree. I have a working FastCGI extension to IIS. I have other working php web projects on localhost.

1. Web bowser installation.
Installation through web works fine until "last moments", then a red text appears that the installation did not succeed.
I can find no log files. Except for php_errors.log, which says:
"Function utf8_decode() is deprecated"
Ok, but this should not be lethal, should it?

2. Command window installation
php installation/joomla.php install

2.1 First error message:
Deprecated: Creation of dynamic property Joomla\CMS\Installation\Application\CliInstallationApplication::$clientId is deprecated in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\joomla5\installation\src\Application\CliInstallationApplication.php on line 107

2.2 Then the funny thing happens, that after writing the super user account name, an infinite loop appears.
Deprecated: rtrim(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\joomla5\libraries\vendor\symfony\console\Helper\QuestionHelper.php on line 427

Attaching a screenshot of this loop.

3. My conclusion is that the installation scripts simply does not work for PHP 8.2.
Is there any workaround?

BR from Dan in Sweden
joomla.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Installation fails for PHP 8.2

Post by gws » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:25 am

Unless you have an overriding necessity to use IIS I would use Wampserver on win 11 to create a local web server. IIS hasn't really played well with Joomla over the years.

DannyBoy60
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DannyBoy60 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:14 pm

Well thank you sir!

I downloaded XAMPP (WampServer was kind of strange, did not allow me to deselect parts).

Installed it, worked!

BR Dan

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:15 pm

Glad it worked for you, Wampserver is capable of changing php and databases on the fly (+FCGI-php) so you can have many sites on wamp with different php and database simultaneously and can change them individually,very useful for DEV work.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 4.x”