How much disc space needed? Topic is solved

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

How much disc space needed?

Post by TomT » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:58 pm

Since I made a copy of my site to upgrade to J4 I'm a little short of disc space and was wondering how much free space I need to install the upgrade.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How much disc space needed?

Post by Webdongle » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:17 pm

Use Akeeba to backup the site then install it on localhost. You can then free up space on your server.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:48 am

That's asking "How long is a piece of string?".

The upgrade package (zip file) itself is only 28.14MB (for Joomla 4.4.2) (that's the compressed size).

To get an idea of the size, unzip that file on your computer and use Windows Explorer (right-click the unzipped folder and get what Windows advises is the disk space occupied by those files/folders for that install package).

Out of interest, the Joomla 4.4.1 upgrade (zip) package is comparatively sized at 28.09MB and the Joomla 4.4.0 upgrade (zip) package is slightly smaller at 20.09MB. So it does fluctuate.

That's only a small part of what you need in terms of disk space since those updated files will pretty much overwrite any existing files. But if you consider that with the overall size of your site - including images, downloadable files and so on, that will expand pretty quickly.

Exactly how much disk space do you have (in total) for your hosting plan? If you can't even fit two copies of the site on the server, perhaps time to consider a hosting plan upgrade or another host that offers a decent amount of disk space. But nonetheless, try as @webdongle has suggested.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:57 am

yes we could change the hosting package but since we only need the extra space for a couple of weeks I decided to remove some older image files temporarily. On Windows the folder is extremely heavy so that doesn't give actual information. With the first trial the upgrade didn't succeed but after removing the older image folders it succeeded.
I haven't found out how much space is actually needed but it's not that much. This specific site just has a lot of images. It's a blog from the Mambo days, so it has grown :).

Thanks for the replies.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”