Joomla cannot communicate with the file during update Topic is solved

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
maestroc
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Joomla cannot communicate with the file during update

Post by maestroc » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:46 am

There are several posts on the forum about this error but I cannot find one that has been able to help me as yet.

I upgraded a site in a test environment to 4.3.1 with no problems. Site runs fine. Transferred it over to the live domain running on the client's VPS server. Regular extension updates run fine, but when I try to run Joomla update I receive the error of:
Joomla cannot communicate with the file administrator/components/com_joomlaupdate/extract.php which performs the update. This typically happens because of one of the following reasons:

A server configuration file in your site's root, such as .htaccess or web.config, prevents access to this file.
Your server configuration prevents access to this file.
The ownership and permissions of this file do not allow your server to access this file.
Your site is behind a load balancer or CDN but its configuration does not allow access to this file or blocks sending commands to it.
Even though the file can be accessed, sending commands to it is blocked by your server's protection such as mod_security2.
I have thus far checked all of the items:

Tried it with and without the htaccess. We are using the default joomla 4 htaccess file. Didn't help.

Not sure on the server configuration thing but I can see that file in the cpanel file manager and it is set to 644 permissions.

We are not using a CDN however I believe the site is being protected by Sucuri in some way.

There is a control panel in cpanel that lets us turn of mod_security for individual domains. I did so and it did not fix the problem.

The joomla update log shows nothing other than that the update started. No error messages are given.
2023-06-17T01:10:29+00:00 INFO 172.58.85.157 update Update started by user Coolguy (1943). Old version is 4.3.1.
2023-06-17T01:10:30+00:00 INFO 172.58.85.157 update File Joomla_4.3.2-Stable-Update_Package.zip downloaded.
2023-06-17T01:10:30+00:00 INFO 172.58.85.157 update Starting installation of new version.
As I mentioned this is on a VPS so if need be we might be able to get into WHM and make changes. Any idea what other things I should try?

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Joomla cannot communicate with the file during update

Post by AMurray » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:26 am

how did you move the website? Using Akeeba Backup and Kickstart,or manually?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:37 am

The following two topics offer some advice what to check and update:
Access Forbidden to extract.php
Cannot update from 4.2.8 to 4.2.9

As shown in the above topics, the results from the Forum Post Assistant (FPA) can give clues what is happening. Follow the instructions at https://forumpostassistant.github.io/docs/ so that the configuration can be reviewed.

maestroc wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:46 amWe are not using a CDN however I believe the site is being protected by Sucuri in some way.
Check with the team that manages Sucuri if some rules block the access to the file extract.php or its path.

Does the website use Admin Tools from Akeeba Backup? If it does, read the following:
#38746 Problem updating from J4.2.8 to J 4.2.9
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

maestroc
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by maestroc » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:59 am

For those wondering in the end I tried both turning off Sucuri Firewall and caching. Turning off the firewall did not help but turning off the caching immediately allowed me to update Joomla.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”