Migrating to Joomla 4 for the inexperienced

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
ashoka232
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Migrating to Joomla 4 for the inexperienced

Post by ashoka232 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:05 am

Hello everyone,

I manage the websites at my workplace, 5 in total (high-traffic restaurant websites). I inherited these from the person who was in my position prior so I didn't create them and my experience is very basic (changing photos/text/installing some extensions and etc).

I tried to migrate the least popular website last week (Joomla 3.10.11 > 4). I followed the most 'in-depth guide' I could understand, disabled extensions that were likely to cause issues except one; T3 Framework (when I disabled this, the website basically disappeared).

Crossing my fingers, I updated and the website disappeared with this error: call to undefined method joomla\cms\application\siteapplication::isadmin() and the backend was a mess. I managed to restore it via a backup which was another stressful learning curve for me.

This was all quite traumatic for me, I can't risk the other websites going down due to high restaurant booking traffic. I basically don't know what to do, I can see support ends for Joomla 3 in August. Does this mean my websites will go down if I don't migrate in time?

Any advice is really appreciated!

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Migrating to Joomla 4 for the inexperienced

Post by gws » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:28 am

See viewtopic.php?f=812&t=988201
Are you using akeeba backup on your sites? If not make yourself aware of this it will make your life easier.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 am

Welcome to the Joomla forum!

ashoka232 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:05 am
call to undefined method joomla\cms\application\siteapplication::isadmin()
The error comes from an incompatible third party extension or a template. Review all the third party extensions, including templates, or post the results from running the FPA - the link to the instructions is inside the red banner above.

ashoka232 wrote:
I can see support ends for Joomla 3 in August. Does this mean my websites will go down if I don't migrate in time?
That was actually August last year, 2023. The Joomla 3.x forum and our volunteer experts are still here. The developers will not issue official updates to Joomla 3.x, but there is Joomla Extended Long Term Support (eLTS) program, if you would like to backport the security updates from supported versions of Joomla like 5.0.3/4.4.3 to Joomla 3.x.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:31 am

Joomla 3 support ended last August (2023). Long term support is available until Feb 2025.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:56 pm

ashoka232 wrote:
Any advice is really appreciated!
No offense but your knowledge is not sufficient to updates these sites properly without problems. You need to find professional help

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:54 pm

If you are managing 5 websites you really must create a a local test environment on your laptop or workstation! Take one site, download its files and database to recreate the site locally. Test updating locally before messing with the live site!

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”