Migration to Joomla 4.x goes wrong!

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 4.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
fruiter
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Migration to Joomla 4.x goes wrong!

Post by fruiter » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:04 pm

Last 2 weeks I tried to migrate to Joomla 4.x. I checked the status of packages and decided to migrate. This went wrong, the migration process crashed, my website did not work anymore.

Now I restored the backup of the database and the webspace. My website runs fine now, but Joomla does not work anymore! I cannot do anything with the Joomla dashboard, every page gives an error!

Today I tried to reinstall my existing Joomla 3.x version to see whether that resolves the issues, but unfortunately this crashed as well. No joomla anymore and no website anymore. So I restored the backups again.

What do I need to do to resolve this? I cannot maintain my website anymore with Joomla, but migration does also not work. Who knows what to do?

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: Migration to Joomla 4.x goes wrong!

Post by gws » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:47 pm

You must delete all files in the joomla directory and empty the database before you restore to your original version,going from j3 to j4 changes the structure of J that is why you have to start from a clean directory and DB.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Migration to Joomla 4.x goes wrong!

Post by AMurray » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:42 pm

Did you migrate from 3.10.x? That is the only version from which you can upgrade to 4.x. Did you ensure your extensions were 4.x compatible, and follow any advice of the pre-update checker report?

How did you backup and restore - with Akeeba Backup and Kickstart (or another backup extension) or through your web host (cPanel backup/restore), or manually re-uploading the joomla system files and importing the *.sql file into phpMyAdmin?
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 4.x”