Robots no-follow rules Topic is solved

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla! 4.x. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! 4.x extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
komir
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Robots no-follow rules

Post by komir » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:06 pm

Hi everyone.
My page is in developing mode.
I don't want crawlers (Google, Bing ...) to index my page.
Is enough to change Robots to "noindex, nofollow" in Joomla Global configuration?
Tnx

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Robots no-follow rules

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:30 pm

Set it offline in Global Configuration so they cannot see it.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:17 pm

When you set the site offline, you see a front-end login, so you can log in generally as the Super User to see the front-end. You can configure it for other user groups/levels too but generally, it would be only the Super User by default, I believe.

The other option is to set up a virtual server (e.g. WAMPServer) on your PC, and develop offline, since the localhost server is not on the internet.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

egdotcom
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by egdotcom » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:33 pm

Similar question but the site is complete, I just do not want it indexed as contributors want it private (its a site for ex-students at a college, all in their 60s/70s and they want reunion images/data private).

With J3 site used an extension that set the site in developer mode, with a password. Perfect for my needs as it was a single sign in, no accounts to create and ignored by search engines. However, no J4 version :-(

So, is setting "no index, no follow" in global settings enough to keep Google away (especially image folders)?

My thanks

ceford
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ceford » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:43 am

egdotcom wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:33 pm
Similar question but the site is complete, I just do not want it indexed as contributors want it private (its a site for ex-students at a college, all in their 60s/70s and they want reunion images/data private).

With J3 site used an extension that set the site in developer mode, with a password. Perfect for my needs as it was a single sign in, no accounts to create and ignored by search engines. However, no J4 version :-(

So, is setting "no index, no follow" in global settings enough to keep Google away (especially image folders)?
This is really a separate question and the moderators may well move and retitle it.

If you wish to keep your site private then use a Directory Privacy setting on your server. Then anyone who visits your site will be prompted for a Username and Password - the same one for all users. cPanel has a tool to do this. It makes an entry in .htaccess. I use this method to protect a development site that only selected friends have access to.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by AMurray » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:26 pm

Search Engines are not obligated to follow directives like "no index no follow" directions.

The htaccess/htpasswd method won't stop the site from being indexed on search engines...? But it will keep people from being able to view it unless they have the password and username.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 4.x”