User CSS in Admin not fully loading

Everything to do with Joomla! 5.x templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

User CSS in Admin not fully loading

Post by LTCreations01 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

I don't have a clue "why" on this, but today I attempted to edit my site which required adding some CSS.

I pulled up my user.css file and saw that it only would scroll to line 316.
But on the front end, I inspected and saw that there was a change I had made earlier this week, and that line was 612.

If I can't scroll down to the full length of the user.css, that's a problem.
I can access the file from cPanel and make changes, but that's not the point.

I have no idea if there is maybe a line in the css that's causing the system to refuse to load the rest of the style sheet, or if it's just me having a bad day.
I'm going to shut down for the night and "hope" either someone comes up with a great idea, or, magically the style sheet loads fully tomorrow.

I can only say, if there is something "wrong" in the sheet, I would expect the site to have issues. But I can't see any problems anywhere on the front end.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: User CSS in Admin not fully loading

Post by AMurray » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

see viewtopic.php?f=811&t=1004134 with similar question
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

LTCreations01 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am
I pulled up my user.css file and saw that it only would scroll to line 316.
Hi. I don't know the reason of your problem, but editing files through the standard Joomla editor is far from convenience. Therefore, I would suggest you not try to solve the current problem, but to use other approaches to edit files.

1) Take a look at this component https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/ff-explorer/.

2) Download and install VS Code on your computer and connect it to your site via ftp.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 pm

Thanks Pavel-ww. But that extension hasn't been updated in more than 2 years.

I'm only accessing and making changes to "user.css" - not other files. And it's true that inside Joomla admin is not the best. But it's worked for years - old habits you know.

I can also just use FileZilla, but all of that isn't the point.

This is the first and only time I've had any project with a user.css that suddenly will not allow access to the entire file.
I don't like page builders because they slow down pages too much. I prefer to start with the default Cassiopeia and just use CSS to design the entire site. It keeps the pages screaming fast and I can hand off the project to the site owner without a bunch of inclusions that require keys.

If you are saying that the problem I encountered is something that "may happen", then I'll switch to FileZilla. It's the only time I've ever encountered this issue and I was thinking there could be something wrong.
I thought, perhaps, someone had encountered similar and found a resolution.

I'll take your word for it if you are suggesting that this can happen - "just because"... - and leave it at that.

@A Murray - I read that thread, but that's a situation where the CSS is simply not loading for the front end of the site. That's completely different. My user.css is in the correct folder and working for the front end just fine.
I'm just not able to access the entire user.css for some reason. Maybe it was just a glitch yesterday...?

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:12 am

LTCreations01 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 pm
But that extension hasn't been updated in more than 2 years.
Usually such components do not require updates. I use it in every project and everything works fine.

--
LTCreations01 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 pm
I don't like page builders because they slow down pages too much. I prefer to start with the default Cassiopeia and just use CSS to design the entire site.
If you make sites using only CSS, then in my opinion God himself ordered to use FileZilla (very uncomfortable) or Notepad ++ with FTP plugin, with Emmet plugin (better), or VS Code with SFTP plugin, with builtin Emmet (best). You will significantly increase your speed and get rid of routine things.

Honestly, I can’t even imagine how you can do such a job using the standard Joomla capabilities. It’s like riding a horse cart in the age of sport cars. However, this is only my opinion. You decide.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:32 pm

Why is there over 600 lines in user.css? It shall only contain the changes you have made.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:18 pm

Pavel-ww - you are correct that I need to use Notepad++ which is pretty simple. And I have sometimes, which is how I know that you don't need anything but FileZilla and Notepad++. If set up correctly, every time the file is updated, even when not logged in, you can update the file in the site.
But you'd be surprised how fast I've been able to put together projects - using my "slow" method.

@Per Yngve Berg - In order to create a completely different look than Cassiopeia you're going to write some code. Otherwise it will just look like...Cassiopeia.
I create a child-template and work off that as my foundation. But there is no way to create a completely different look without making a lot of changes.
And once you have the new look, it all has to be responsive. So there are a lot of changes, depending on how intricate the project.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:59 pm

In the case of child templates, the user.css is not meant to be used. Use a modified copy of template.css in the child template. Leave the user.css to yhe end user.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:11 pm

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:59 pm
In the case of child templates, the user.css is not meant to be used. Use a modified copy of template.css in the child template. Leave the user.css to yhe end user.
Could you explain that please Per as I have never heard that before.Thank you.

LTCreations01
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by LTCreations01 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:48 pm

I agree with @gws

When "any" Web site is developed for a client, that client is never going to get in and mess with the CSS. They are going to leave it, or hire someone to mess with the CSS.

Additionally, in all of the documentation, that is one of the first things to do - create a child template and the user.css - but nowhere and nobody has ever even "hinted" at creating the user.css for the site owner.

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 5.x”