Siteground server not compatible for Joomla 5

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 5.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
gphood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Siteground server not compatible for Joomla 5

Post by gphood » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:39 am

I only just realised that the Siteground version of MySQL isn't compatible with Joomla 5 just before Christmas. I spoke to their tech support and they weren't able to advise when they were likely to upgrade but they did say I can use Postgresql as alternative, as a couple of others have mentioned. I tried a test install to see how I found it, but soon realised it was a non-starter because none of the Akeeba applications support Postgresql and I am very reliant on Backup and Admintools, as I suspect a lot of others are - more info on the Akeeba forum https://www.akeeba.com/support/akeeba-b ... kflow.html

Annoyingly I signed up to Siteground for 2 years in advance in September, so changing host for my Joomla sites would be costly, not to mention being a major pain in the rear. We have a reasonable amount of time while J4 is still supported, so there's no immediate urgency to get this sorted out, but I am going to have to rethink my strategy if nothing seems to have happened by the time we get to summer.

Chamira Athauda
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Chamira Athauda » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:07 am

I had this conversation with SG last November, just after MySQL 5.7 reached end of its support.

I was told an update was coming within a few weeks.

But it looks like there are no real plans to do this.

Recently GoDaddy has gone on to MariaDB 10.6. I have migrated a vanilla J4 install on MariaDB to J5 without any issue.

I have used SG since around 2012 but don't think I will recommend SG shared hosting to any one again.
Last edited by Chamira Athauda on Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

gphood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gphood » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:11 am

Hi Chamira - I had an online chat with Siteground support on January 8 and they confirmed that the upgrade process was currently happening at that point. He couldn't give me an ETA but it would take a while and I'd be informed when it was done. That's the best I can do at the moment so we're sticking with them for now.

Chamira Athauda
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Chamira Athauda » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:57 pm

@gphood That's interesting, did they say if they are sticking with MySQL or going over to an equivalent like MariaDB?

This seems to be what GoDaddy has done & it might be why its taking them so long.

gphood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gphood » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:03 pm

@Chamira - this is what I was told :

"So we're actually currently in the process of upgrading our MySQL to 8 as required by Joomla for the latest version, the update is carried out by our team and once fully completed we'll be sure to update everyone on the news :) While I can't give an exact ETA on when we'll finish it I want you to be confident that it's on our roadmap and in process, so we'll keep you updated"

I'm assuming they're upgrading to Centos8 from v6 that they use at the moment.

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:32 pm

Fyi
Once they have updated their database system... Create a new database and use Akeeba to create a backup that can be installed to the New database
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

dagroupinc
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dagroupinc » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:37 pm

While I'm in no hurry to move our clients J4 sites to J5 we'll most likely migrate our clients out of SG having read this thread. Also SGs support services have been significantly reduced so it's near impossible to speak to anyone.

When I asked them when they would be updating MySQL 5.7 to 8.x they told me they 'didn't have any plans to update the server' and couldn't give me a date or timeline. When I said MySQL was EOL in October of 2023 they said:

"Correct, in October 2023, MySQL 5.7 reached its end of life. As such, it is no longer supported and doesn't receive security patches or bug fixes anymore. On the other hand, MySQL 8 will reach EOL in April 2026. It also introduces significant enhancements to the InnoDB storage engine, query operations, connection pooling and more."

Duh, So basically a non-answer. Too bad, they used to be pretty good.

ACVMF
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ACVMF » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 pm

While I adamantly AGREE the once great Joomla Support at SiteGround is NO MORE, they do in fact support installation of new Joomla 5 and upgrades from 3.x and 4.x as of this writing April 25, 2024

We have have been using SiteGround since 2013 and have decided it is time to move our site elsewhere. SiteGround used to be a top notch Hosting site but no more- Support has deteriorated to a level we can no longer tolerate.

We will move when our current contract expires at the end of this year. Meanwhile, below is information from their site about how to instsall and to upgrade to Joomla 5.

I must add, their install procedure for a new install is cumbersome and it is as if they are saying if you insist on using Joomla do it this way or or close your account and go away we don't want you. In addition you can't even name your database what you want and their automatic names are long and stupid!

It is clear, SiteGround no longer wants to host Joomla

This is from their BOT:
To install Joomla 5 as a new installation, you will need to follow a similar process to installing Joomla 3.x, with the key difference being the database type, as Joomla 5 requires PostgreSQL 14+.

Here are the general steps you would follow:

1. Download the Joomla 5 installation package from the official Joomla website.
2. Upload the installation files to your hosting account via FTP or File Manager in Site Tools.
3. Navigate to your domain where you uploaded the Joomla 5 files in your web browser.
4. Go through the Joomla Web Installer, entering the necessary information such as site name, description, email, and administrative username and password.
5. When you reach the database configuration section, select PostgreSQL as the database type and enter the database details for your PostgreSQL database.
6. Proceed with the installation steps, including setting up any sample data if desired.
7. Complete the installation by following the prompts, and ensure you remove the installation folder for security purposes.

If you need assistance with setting up PostgreSQL or any other part of the installation process, we are here to help. Just let us know where you are in the process or what specific help you need!
To upgrade 3x to Joomla 5:
Upgrading from Joomla 3.x to Joomla 5 is a significant step and should be approached with caution. Before proceeding with the upgrade, it's important to note that Joomla 5 requires MySQL 8 or PostgreSQL 14+ to operate. Currently, we can offer support for Joomla 5 using PostgreSQL.

Here are the steps you should consider for upgrading:

1. Backup Your Site: Always create a full backup of your website, including files and database, before attempting an upgrade.
2. Check Extensions: Ensure that all your extensions, templates, and plugins are compatible with Joomla 5. You may need to update or replace some of them.
3. Staging Environment: It's recommended to test the upgrade on a staging copy of your site first, rather than on your live site.
4. Upgrade to Joomla 3.10: If you haven't already, update your Joomla 3.x site to the latest version in the 3.x series, which is Joomla 3.10 at the time of my knowledge cutoff.
5. Use the Joomla Update Component: Joomla 3.10 provides a feature to help with major version upgrades. You can use the Joomla Update component to check for the availability of Joomla 5 and follow the instructions provided.

Since we are still in the process of updating our MySQL version to version 8, if you are using MySQL, it is recommended to wait until this update is complete for a smoother transition. Alternatively, if you choose to migrate your MySQL database to PostgreSQL, be aware that this process can be complex and may require the use of third-party tools.

If you need assistance with the upgrade process or setting up a staging environment, please let us know, and we can guide you through the steps. Remember to proceed with caution and ensure you have a reliable backup before starting the upgrade.
To upgrade from 4.x to 5:
You can upgrade your Joomla 4 site to Joomla 5. However, before you proceed with the upgrade, it's important to ensure that your server environment meets the requirements for Joomla 5, which includes support for MySQL 8 or PostgreSQL 14+. Currently, we can assist with Joomla 5 using PostgreSQL.

Here are the steps to consider for upgrading from Joomla 4 to Joomla 5:

1. Backup Your Site: Create a full backup of your website, including all files and the database.
2. Check Compatibility: Verify that all your extensions, templates, and plugins are compatible with Joomla 5.
3. Staging Environment: It's highly recommended to perform the upgrade on a staging copy of your site to avoid any disruptions to your live site.
4. Update Joomla 4: Ensure that your Joomla 4 site is updated to the latest version before attempting to upgrade to Joomla 5.
5. Use Joomla Update Component: Joomla 4 should have an integrated update component that will facilitate the upgrade process. Follow the instructions provided within your Joomla admin area to perform the upgrade.

If you are ready to upgrade or need further assistance with the process, please let us know, and we can guide you through the necessary steps. Remember to proceed with caution and ensure you have a reliable backup before starting the upgrade.
Last edited by ACVMF on Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gphood
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gphood » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:14 pm

Hi ACVMF

With regards to Siteground's advice to upgrade to J5 using PostGreSQL, if like the vast majority of Joomla users you use Akeeba Backup then this isn't going to work, because that extension doesn't support PostGreSQL as it doesn't support the commands required for it to work.

I can confirm that they are steadily working through upgrading their hosting accounts and upgrading to the required version of Centos that will run MySQL 8. I had a notification last week that they will be upgrading the hosting server that some of my sites are on next week, so there is progress even if it isn't as fast as we would like.

JAVesey
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by JAVesey » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:36 pm

ACVMF wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 pm
In addition you can't even name your database what you want and their automatic names are long and stupid!
Long and stupid… maybe. But probably a tad more secure as a result ;)

Glad to hear that they are gradually updating their servers but too late for me. I moved away last November before upgrading to J5.
John V
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joomla 5.1.0 "live" site on PHP 8.2.15 and MariaDB 10.11.7
Joomla 5.1.0 on XAMMP for OSX with PHP 8.2.4 and MariaDB 10.4.28

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 5.x”