The database requirement Topic is solved

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 5.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
pukkieboop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

The database requirement

Post by pukkieboop » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:09 am

L.s.

I've migrated a simple website from J3 => J4.4.3. J5 is not possible because of the database requirements.
But I've done this upgrade via the "Upload update package" and I had to tweak some languagefiles (manually remove and reinstall for the correct J version) but all works nice.
The update pipeline now looks for J5 updates.

Which leaves me with the question: what goes wrong if the hoster updates the database platform, or what could go wrong in general. BTW: dark mode looks awesome.

best regards Marie-Anne

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: The database requirement

Post by AMurray » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 am

For Joomla updates for 4.x you need to change the update server to "default" rather than "joomla next" to gain J4.x updates in future (one coming out this week I believe). Only use "Joomla Next" if you intend an update to J5 when your hosting allows for it.

If your web host updates MySQL from 5.7 to 8.x, I'm sure they will give you due notice, so you can make a backup of your site (either with Akeeba Backup, or just export the DB from phpMyAdmin which you should be doing regularly anyway).

Then restore the site to a new MySQL 8 DB with Akeeba Kickstart, or import via phpMyAdmin the *.sql file you previously exported.

I don't think it will be a big process to achieve.

If in doubt, set up a local server on your PC - wampserver (https://wampserver.aviatechno.net/), and install it with both the MySQL 5.7 and 8.0.x modules etc. Try a restoration of your current site with Akeeba or the import to phpMyAdmin method, to MySQL 8 and see that it works, without ruining your live site.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

pukkieboop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pukkieboop » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 am

Thank you for your fast answer. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about the procedure I followed & the 2 choices I now have.

Procedure:
- from 3.10.12 => J 4.4.3, everything ok, made a backup
- force an update to J5 although database requirements were not met => J5 seems ok, tried some things, update pipeline is now for J5.

I now have 2 choices:
1) because of the db requirement, use the J4 version to develop (it's a simple site with no extra extensions)
2) use J5, allthough db requirements are not met.

The questions is, which type of problems could I encounter if I would follow choice 2.

best regards Marie-Anne

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:52 am

If you follow option 2 you will not be able to update Joomla until the DB requirements are met.

pukkieboop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pukkieboop » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:23 am

Ok, thank you, option 1 it will be.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 5.x”