Alternative to yootheme zoo

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 5.x.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Alternative to yootheme zoo

Post by spottedhaggis » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:42 am

Hi all,

For several years I have used Zoo to display products. The site is a corporate site, displaying products, download spec sheets etc, not a shop, and nothing can be purchased, so I dont need ecommerce.

Zoo was aleways good because I can keep things neat and uniformed, widget kit added a little extra to it, but I am now on the look for something a little better and something that keeps growing. Zoo from what I can see has not changed one bit in all the years I have been using it, seems the yootheme team are more interested in developing their theme page editor, which I have tried and simply do not like. Even many of the zoo addons available from third party are only useful if you use the yootheme templates, otherwise they are useless as well.

Can anyone recommend something that offers similar to zoo functionality and simplicity but that is growing, and has alot of addon options

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Alternative to yootheme zoo

Post by AMurray » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:05 pm

There are e-commerce extensions you can use in "Catalogue mode". One example, https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/phoca-cart/. There are probably many more that can operate in "catalogue" mode.

If you were feeling challenged, you could build your component to suit your requirement e.g. a data-entry form, and build the page to display the information. See https://www.fabrikar.com (direct link provided, they are not listed on the JED).
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

Pavel-ww
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Pavel-ww » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:45 am

spottedhaggis wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:42 am
Zoo from what I can see has not changed one bit in all the years I have been using it, seems the yootheme team are more interested in developing their theme page editor
Hi. Since custom fields appeared in Joomla, components as Zoo and K2 have lost relevance and stopped development.

Standard Joomla articles and categories with using custom fields will close all your needs to create a product catalog.

spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spottedhaggis » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:13 am

Thats a very good point, I may consider that. Ideally the fewer plugins I have the better and I used to have loads of them :-)

Sulpher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Sulpher » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 pm

You can take a look using combination of core Joomla articles and fields with YOOtheme Pro page builder and its dynamic content functionality. Using it you can design the pages as you wish.
Of course, without extra functionality like rating and etc. It is can be extended via 3rd party plugins.
Joomla! extensions & ecommerce pluginshttps://norrnext.com

Unofficial Joomla channel on Telegram - @joomlahub
Follow me on Twitter: @sulpher

spottedhaggis
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by spottedhaggis » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm

I looked at Yootheme pro and I simply dont like it, it was great when zoo suddenly had these extra features, only to be dissapointed when they only work with Yootheme templates, and if I am forced to do something I wont do it, besides as I said I did try Yootheme pro and it was not a happy experience for me, they kindly refunded me.

I am playing with Fabrik and think I can make that work for me, but for other reasons, for the time being Ill stick with Zoo, might try the carts, problem is even in catalog mode they are discovered as ecommerce by other engines (I tried this in the past, hence the move back to Zoo)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 5.x”