Develop a Multilingual Site

General questions relating to Joomla! 3.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
Nada123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Develop a Multilingual Site

Post by Nada123 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:24 pm

I would like to create a web site Multilanguage, using Joomla 3.3.6 it is Multilanguage, I have the steps to create Multilanguage from the version 1.7 is it work for 3.3.6 how the Multilanguage in 3.3.6 .
I want to include in my web site English and French and Arabic, the way is would be an tab for English which is default , that will take all the content to English language , then French would take all the content to French, then the last tab is for Arabic would take all the content to Arabic with consideration that the Arabic language writing is backward .
any advices and what extension would help for that .

thanks
Last edited by imanickam on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved the topic from the forum Announcements Discussions to the forum General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x. In the future, for your questions/issues create separate topics. Split from the post http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=860568

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Develop a Multilingual Site

Post by imanickam » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:49 am

Nada123 wrote:I have the steps to create Multilanguage from the version 1.7 is it work for 3.3.6 how the Multilanguage in 3.3.6 .
Yes, it would work. Suggest reviewing the demo-cum-tutorial site http://multilingual.demojoomla.com/. Being a demo site, you could even log into the site's back-end to see how things are configured. Even though the site has been built using Joomla! 2.5, the concepts are equally good or Joomla! 3.x.
Nada123 wrote:I would like to create a web site Multilanguage, using Joomla 3.3.6 it is Multilanguage
In Joomla! 3.x, when you install Joomla!, you could choose to install additional languages and create a new skeletal multilingual site. You could try this out. Make sure not to install any sample data.
Nada123 wrote:what extension would help for that
There are extensions in JED (Joomla! Extensions Directory) that could be of help in managing the multilingual content. As JED is down right now, the corresponding category's link could not be posted.

Make sure that the template you are using supports LTR (Left-to-Right).
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Nada123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nada123 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 pm

all of you very helpful , that gives me great way to start my web site, thanks for all of you

Nada123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nada123 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:20 pm

my problem is when I installed they didn't give me the option not to install the simple data in Joomla, is it still working and how?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:31 am

Do you mean when you installed Joomla! or language packs? If it is language packs, they are just language strings for Joomla! messages, error messages, help text, etc. If it is Joomla!, how are you installing Joomla!?

Joomla! will work irrespective of whether Sample Data is installed or not. Joomla! as such is a system/tool to develop web-site. It need not have content to operate.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 3.x”