Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
Razva
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Discuss: Joomla 1.6 Alpha 2 Released

Post by Razva » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Maybe this is not the place to ask, but I'll give it a shot:

When will J1.6 (stable) be available?

I would like to start a fresh portal based on Joomla and I would like to know if the development will take 1-2 months more (I can wait that long) and build it directly on 1.6, or it will take 6-12 months (I can't wait that long) so I should build it on 1.5 than upgrade it when available.

Thanks!

everythingis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Suggestion for Joomla 1.6

Post by everythingis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm

TBolt wrote:
everythingis wrote:
  • Articles should be able to be displayed as a web page without the template being applied. Useful for creating forms that don't require any modules (header/footer/menus, etc.)
Isn't this achieved through the use of wrappers (that wrap your plain-looking web page) or links that open up in a new browser tab to whatever HTML page you've created?
The wrapper allows you to use an external link or website content from a different site to integrate it into the look and feel of your template.

There are 2 ways to do it, one is to add "tmpl=component" as a parameter to the url, but there are some bugs that occur & it could get overwhelming depending on how much it would need to be used.

Another way would be to upload a custom template that is completely blank (which is what I eventually figured out).

But with both solutions, it would just make much more sense and be much more user friendly just to create a way to do it within the Article Parameters.

Maybe a solution would be to have a default template included with the new release that is blank to make it easier to work with forms and other types of content for shadowboxes, pop-ups, or iframes.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Razva wrote:Maybe this is not the place to ask, but I'll give it a shot:

When will J1.6 (stable) be available?

I would like to start a fresh portal based on Joomla and I would like to know if the development will take 1-2 months more (I can wait that long) and build it directly on 1.6, or it will take 6-12 months (I can't wait that long) so I should build it on 1.5 than upgrade it when available.

Thanks!
Go for 1.5
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

lysdexic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lysdexic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:00 pm

This has probably been asked, but here goes anyway.

Will 1.6 be 'ajaxed' so that content can be loaded without a complete page refresh?

I'm especially referring to the ability to load articles (including internal article pages) without a refresh.

I've had a pretty good experience with the 0.6 beta7 ajax mod with Joomla 1.5, but it doesn't seem to like page breaks in articles, (does a complete refresh when the next page loads). Still, its great to have a taster of how a fully ajax-enabled site would function.

I hope this will be incorporated into the final release.

NachoRegal
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by NachoRegal » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:42 am

I reckon chances are, Ajaxifying things is the least of their worries.

But Ajax saving of articles periodically, at the very least would be fantastic! :)

I can't tell you the amount of times I've lost 20 minutes of work because something has happened before I save it :)

I'll have to check out that extension!
Rabbit Web | Cairns Web Design | http://rabbitweb.com.au

puneetjain87
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by puneetjain87 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Is Joomla 1.6 better for SEO than Joomla 1.5

Why dont Joomla provide SEF system which is like the one in wordpress (default).

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:32 pm

lysdexic wrote:This has probably been asked, but here goes anyway.

Will 1.6 be 'ajaxed' so that content can be loaded without a complete page refresh?
I'm especially referring to the ability to load articles (including internal article pages) without a refresh.

I've had a pretty good experience with the 0.6 beta7 ajax mod with Joomla 1.5, but it doesn't seem to like page breaks in articles, (does a complete refresh when the next page loads). Still, its great to have a taster of how a fully ajax-enabled site would function.

I hope this will be incorporated into the final release.

On my own, I don't know but it's very interesting your question. I hope to see something about that...
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Suggestion for Joomla 1.6

Post by infograf768 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:45 pm

everythingis wrote:
  • The ability to publish a menu item as private (logged in), but not public (logged out).
  • The ability to create a custom HTML Module that can be linked to a menu item.
1. This is already implemented in 1.5. With the new ACL, it will be much finer in 1.6.
2. This is already implemented in 1.5. The term is "assigned to" which means that the module will only be displayed when this menu item is clicked.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

bongobongo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bongobongo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Sorry... Just skip or delete this message..... I need to get latest build.

Orig message below:
I just installed latest 1.6 Beta 2, and activated the search module.

When entering something in the search field on frontend and hitting enter I get these:

Code: Select all

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\www\htdocs\joomla16b2\plugins\search\content.php on line 249

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\www\htdocs\joomla16b2\plugins\search\content.php on line 249

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\www\htdocs\joomla16b2\plugins\search\weblinks.php on line 135

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\www\htdocs\joomla16b2\plugins\search\weblinks.php on line 140
Last edited by bongobongo on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bongobongo
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bongobongo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm

I found out how to download the very latest from the trunk here:
http://www.jfoobar.org/blog/325-how-to- ... la-16.html

Really look forward to a polished 1.6 version :)

Regards

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:15 pm

I've just seen the last SVN trunk and the last image by me uploaded here (Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:24 pm) is not in the trunk! Please who can do it please do it!

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi newart,
please be patient. the sample data is anything but done and we don't know if we will even need that image in 1.6. We can talk about this again when beta or the first RC has come. :-)
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

Mindgem
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Mindgem » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:29 am

What about the release of beta 1? When?

It was said end of February or starting of March...

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:03 pm

Hackwar wrote:Hi newart,
please be patient. the sample data is anything but done and we don't know if we will even need that image in 1.6. We can talk about this again when beta or the first RC has come. :-)

ok, no problem! Glad to see you again, bye!

phreak_02
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by phreak_02 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:05 am

@Mindgem:
"Yawn"... professionals already switched to other CMS's. The Joomla development cycle is too slow and Joomla can't stand a range of competitors in features, security and performance.

Trust me, i'm working with this system since Mambo and still run some last sites with Joomla, but i can't built a future on J.
http://www.cycomsplat.com - I work for you !
http://www.kindaktuell.at - I'm running this !

madLyfe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madLyfe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:04 am

phreak_02 wrote:@Mindgem:
"Yawn"... professionals already switched to other CMS's. The Joomla development cycle is too slow and Joomla can't stand a range of competitors in features, security and performance.

Trust me, i'm working with this system since Mambo and still run some last sites with Joomla, but i can't built a future on J.
what have you switched to?

NachoRegal
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by NachoRegal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:16 am

Yeah! Where do we go that's better? :(

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:34 am

The [* spam *] is always greener ...

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:16 pm

... but we cannot hide the real situation... I like Joomla only but J is late...
We hope to see 1.6 ASAP

Hackwar
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Hackwar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Then help out in the development.
god doesn't play dice with the universe. not after that drunken night with the devil where he lost classical mechanics in a game of craps.

Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Hackwar wrote:Then help out in the development.

always done but for a lot of tusks - now - sorry I cannot... I hope in the future ASAP

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:36 pm

johnsheppard wrote:Yeah! Where do we go that's better? :(
Looking at the links that are on his own web site (link found in his signature), I noticed Joomla sites, a TYPOLight site, and some custom stuff that didn't really have CMS-type capabilities.

I remember goofing around with TYPOLight a couple of years ago. TYPOLight seems to be geared towards developers who can (or, want to...) do a lot of their own custom work/coding.

Joomla is supported by a much larger community and countless extension designers.

The delays we see have to be expected. The Joomla developers are building a platform that serves such a large community. I'm sure there are A LOT of factors to consider before each release.

phreak_02
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by phreak_02 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:42 pm

Hey all,

I don't want to put Joomla down. It served me well, and i was able to build a range of commercially sold or advertising websites that run my income. I tried to be in the boat and concentrated on translations for random extensions that looked smart usable and supportworthy to me to give back.

There have been a lot of detailed discussions about the downparts of Joomla and the core developers are aware of them, some of them use different CMSs in their work i recognized. What to point out is that J 1.6 (and i think a lot of us know that) is just a "catch up" release. It is very important that people do this work but it is self-evident that it leaves time for initial and creative sparks and new ideas behind.

Im not sure if the question, "where does it go" is clearly answered for Joomla. Joomla feels like a huge old hub for the extensions served in the JED. Three major downturns of Joomla nowadays are the Node-Structure (Sorry, don't know how it is named today), the One-Content-Per-Page-Element-Structure and the performance. This is good for small sites, but Joomla's greatest extensions are more and more capable to create big/huge websites. Websites are a service but Joomla feels to me not to pick up where developers, admins and users need this hub now.

We should take this discussion to another thread probably. A Joomla 1.7 thread, is there one?

Ah yes, my signature sites are pretty old, everything found behind that too. ;)

TBolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TBolt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 pm

phreak,

You still haven't told us what other CMSes you're currently using. Not that knowing would move me away from Joomla - it serves MY needs just fine. Inquiring minds still want to know, apparently. :)

Cheers.

phreak_02
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by phreak_02 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Ui, sorry... forgot that in the last post. It's TYPOLight, it's fast has a modular structure, it lets me place things were i want them (the Joomla problem with modules), very open template structure, and a lot of things are easy to realize where Joomla needs extensions and a lot costumization (for my needs). It is still not perfect, but the hell of a toolbox.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:31 pm

phreak_02 Joomla deserves better words than yours... I can agree with you about sundry problems and some limits but Joomla is a project with a lot of heads and so we can have some delay... maybe I'd like to see not a 1.6 version but a newly fully differently Joomla with a new number version like 2.x

IMHO I'd prefer not this long step by step when we can shortcut all! my 5 cts

madLyfe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by madLyfe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:40 pm

after this release isnt development going to open up to the community more(for the J core)?

JurgenD
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JurgenD » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 pm

I want to make a suggestion to security and installation of modules, templates and so on.

I think I saw this idea in Xoops.

In the admin area, there was a screen to UNLOCK the installed files, so things would be ready to be installed. Permissions where lowered of directories and files. When the installation was done,
the admin could lock back the installed files.

As the same screen can be used to verify permissions (as to reset them if needed)

So I presume this is done with a bash script and su, because the php script is run by the apache
user or (using suPHP) the one assigned, or the files and directories should be owned by the superuser, which is not the apache user.

Anyway, a thought.

phreak_02
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by phreak_02 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Joomla deserves better words than yours...
I agree with you, or at least, these words were'nt meant that negative. Well, but what is true is that my opinion shouldn't affect the motivation of anyone behind the Joomla project or someone who is working with it.

I keep quiet or open a thread. Sorry!

NachoRegal
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by NachoRegal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 am

I don't think it's a secret that there are problems to be solved, my opinion is that it is best to fix those problems in Joomla than to go elsewhere. Elsewhere has problems too, just different ones.

How one achieves solving Joomla problems without being a core developer is the real problem I think :) Practically, it's not easy to help out without significant investment in personal time. It's the model that needs to be considered.

Those are my thoughts anyway, I'm just a noobie and have not been around long enough to know the real answers.

Return to “Announcements Discussions”