Discussion about: Upgrade to Joomla! 1.0.3 Security Release now!

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Discussion about: Upgrade to Joomla! 1.0.3 Security Release now!

Post by Tonie » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:23 pm

First, you make a backup of data and database, you can never have enough of those. After that you can select all files and directories, and copy them over the structure of your current site with your favorite FTP program. When the program asks to overwrite files and/or directories, click something like 'yes to all'.

jb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jb » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:26 pm

mairving wrote: Do you have shell access?
Don't know if I do or not.. but assume I do. However, I don't know how to deal with shell access.. And I've learned that it's best for me not to screw around with things I know nothing about.. and shell access is one of those.

I still say that a script would be a good thing, for us new-guys.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:35 pm

A script is actually harder than just copying files and directories in one go. The hardware/operating support/domains and different paths would make is pretty diffucult to create a one-works-for-all script. One of the Google Summer of Code projects is an automatic updates for the backend. This is going to be integrated in Joomla in a future version. I know this doesn't help you now, but just to show that people are aware of this.

jb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jb » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:38 pm

Great. It's good to know that it's in the works. Thanks.

For now, I'll just take the time and upload directory by directory.

jmc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jmc » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:41 pm

@jb!
overwriting the directories with these new ones would delete lots of other files
Just what I thought when first playing with ftp, but actually that's not what happens! What it will do, is over-write any copies of the individual updated files contained within those directories, leaving the others exactly as they are! So, you can safely pick up the entire update structure (i.e. all of the folders and files contained in the zip) as one item and ftp it into your Joomla root without worry.
HTH,
John Mc
When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed...

jb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jb » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:49 pm

Ohh, man.. that would be great. No offense intended, but I see that you too are classified as a forum "newbie." Can I get a confirmation from a more senior member of the team before I break a perfectly good installation?? Would I have to set certain preferences in my ftp client for it to work this way, or would it be considered normal ftp behavior?

It should be noted that I have a couple of additional mods installed.. SMF and Joomla-SMF Bridge, among them.

You're getting me excited at the possibility..  :-\ :)
Last edited by jb on Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:55 pm

jmc is perfectly right  :). You can copy everything in one go. Only the files are in the patch are replaced. The files which aren't in the patch, will stay perfectly safe. Like I said earlier, create a backup before starting.  :)

jmc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jmc » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:01 pm

That means, jb... you're good to go! Woo-hoo! ;D
heh... Oh, and I'm a Forum Noob 'coz I spend more time using the Search button (usually successfully) than I do asking questions... As Fox Mulder would say... The truth is out there!
Have fun ftp'ing!
John Mc
When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed...

jb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jb » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:18 pm

Well, I finally found the time to do the update, and it worked exactly as you said it should! Nice and easy.

But now after the update (from 1.0.1 in my case) I'm experiencing the issue (mentioned earlier in this thread) of Who's Online displaying "no users online" even when I am logged in. What is the fix for this, if there is one?

Thanks for the great resources and help!
jb

popeorchestra
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by popeorchestra » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:02 am

I'm on totalchoicehosting.
No shell access, cpanel and ftp.
Joomla 1.0.2 installed.
Looks like every file in the patch is read only on the server, so the glib install instructions do not seem achievable.
Using the hosting service cpanel upload of the tar does not over write the read only files.
GFTP won't.
The cpanel filemanager copy doesn't seem to want to.
This seems to leave me with the unlikely choice of changing every file permission in the patch
to +w one directory at a time manually.  I decline that option.

Am I missing something really simple here?

Thanks
Ed.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:46 am

Why not just ask your host to do it for you via SSH?

dmcghan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dmcghan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:57 pm

I don't know where I'm supposed to post suggestions so please let me know. I found a problem with 1.0.3, not that it wasn't intentional, but it's not good. One of the fixes in 1.0.3 was a search component flooding fix that was implemented by limiting the search function to 20 characters. I work for a big company and have been developing joomla as a knowledge base on an intranet and flooding is not an issue. Searching 20 characters is very limiting.

I propose a compromise; perhaps someone could integrate the ability to select the number of characters as an option. In this case, the people that were experiencing flooding issues could lower the character count allowed. But others using Joomla as a knowledge base could allow for more characters.

Please let me know.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:20 pm

dmcghan wrote: I don't know where I'm supposed to post suggestions so please let me know. I found a problem with 1.0.3, not that it wasn't intentional, but it's not good. One of the fixes in 1.0.3 was a search component flooding fix that was implemented by limiting the search function to 20 characters. I work for a big company and have been developing joomla as a knowledge base on an intranet and flooding is not an issue. Searching 20 characters is very limiting.

I propose a compromise; perhaps someone could integrate the ability to select the number of characters as an option. In this case, the people that were experiencing flooding issues could lower the character count allowed. But others using Joomla as a knowledge base could allow for more characters.

Please let me know.
Please see: Wishlist and Feature Requests

selvan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by selvan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:10 am

hi
i am using mambo 4.5.3, can anybody suggest me , whether mambo is good or joomla is good?
tell me with the full details and why?

Thanks & regards
Selvan

akede
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by akede » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:30 am

Hey Selvan,

I've answered this question now already a couple of times.

There is no good or better.

Joomla! and Mambo are two different projects with different development strategies. You need to find our yourself which suites you best.

From my perspective both are good.

So how should I explain why?

May be an answer is: Both projects are open source and that's some of the best things you can get anyhow.

I'm verry sorry to dissappoint you in the way that I can't give you an answer like: "this is better because of". It's up to you and your needs. Both projects are comparable - it depends on your future requirements which is the better solution for you.

Cheers

Alex
selvan wrote: hi
i am using mambo 4.5.3, can anybody suggest me , whether mambo is good or joomla is good?
tell me with the full details and why?

Thanks & regards
Selvan
Joom!Fish 2.0 your free multilingual solution for Joomla! 1.5 i - http://www.joomfish.net - follow us on twitter @joomfish
Meet us at J and Beyond, 30.05 - 1.06.10, Wiesbaden, Germany - http://jandbeyond.org

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:59 am

@selvan
Please also read this: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,21380.0.html. There are a few other threads which I can't seem to find at the moment. http://www.joomla.org/index.php?Itemid= ... aq&catid=7

selvan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Discussion about: Upgrade to Joomla! 1.0.3 Security Release now!

Post by selvan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:18 pm

hi guys

Thanks for the valuable tips and advices

Cheers
Selvan

Return to “Announcements Discussions”