Discussion about : Joomla! 1.1 — Developer Power, User Excitement

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
mmx
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Discussion about : Joomla! 1.1 — Developer Power, User Excitement

Post by mmx » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:54 am

Jinx wrote:
animas wrote: Not so excited :( Where is the MULTISITE?
The refactoring was done with multisite in mind. It will not be part of the default release (time doesn't permit this), however Joomla has always been built with extendibility in mind. As a matter of fact the whole goal of this refactoring is to provide more power and flexibility to 3P developers. We happily support any 3P developer that want's to investigate a mutlisite plugin. 
Just a plugin...I am assuming that multisite for Joomla is still somewhat based on the RAMBO concept developed for the original 5.0 prototype of two years ago. As I recall, the concept then was to use a single Admin (which could be installed anywhere) to access any number of sites which could be domains or subdomains on the current webserver and remotely to other domains/subdomains on other webservers via remote procedure calls. I am no longer sure, but I think the secretkey config variable was somehow used to authenticate whether or not the Admin console could access the database for a particular site.

That said, if the RAMBO concept still applies how would one access the databases for the individual sites from Admin to load their data? Would you not need a admin-only component to maintain a table with records containing the the site urls if for no other reason for Admin navigation among the various sites. This could be a shared table used jointly among all the sites installed on a particular database, but some means needs to exist to broadcast changes to that table to sites located on remote webservers.

A modified mod_fullmenu might be needed to handle a new menubar option called 'Sites' and an alternate admin template might have to installed to use the alternate menu module.

There is a bit more to multisite than the above. In the least case, the parent site (domain) needs to be able to handle the subdirection to its subdomains. This suggests a modification to the index files for the sites (unless a single site installation is supported with separate caches, template sets, and configuration files).

Some ACL problems also creep into the picture because we are now talking about a single Admin that can access a network or topology of sites. You would probably need a new Master Admin ACO as a parent for the individual site Super Admins. A lot of this could be handled by adding some conditional code if a multisite boolean variable existed in JCONFIG.

This topic probably needs to move into it's own thread.
Last edited by mmx on Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ez2ask
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by ez2ask » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:11 am

Tonie wrote: @ez2ask

Joomla 1.0.6 will be confirmed once they think it is ready. There have been negative reactions in the past with set dates for patches. Patching Joomla 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 isn't hard, just copying over the files in the patch. The database doesn't get any changes normally with patches.
Thank you very much for your answer. Really appreciate!!! I am going to use 1.0.5 for now and looking forward to see the new Joomla whenever it is ready!!!  :-*

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:08 am

FuzzieDice wrote: I'm looking forward to trying to create some new Components, Mambots (shouldn't the be called 'Joombots' now? ;) )
They are now called plugins.
Much work has been done since the alpha1 release.
Alpha2 soon to come.  ;)
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Reflex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Reflex » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:11 pm

Hi.

I am using now the stable 1.05.  Could I update it to 1.1 ? 
or is better if I install 1.07 and then update to 1.1?

Thank you.
Last edited by Reflex on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benedikt
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by benedikt » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:16 pm

1.1 is still alpha. This means that you can NOT use it on a live site. It is released for the purpose of testing only.
1.0.7 is stable and safe to use on a live site.

Reflex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Reflex » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:28 pm

benedikt wrote: 1.1 is still alpha. This means that you can NOT use it on a live site. It is released for the purpose of testing only.
1.0.7 is stable and safe to use on a live site.
Thank you. But when 1.1 be stable, Could I update 1.07 to 1.1?

Thank you again. 8)

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:58 pm

Simple answer is "Yes".
There may be some other security releases though concerning the 1.0.x series and you would then get a 1.0.8, etc. beforehand.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

Reflex
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Reflex » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:05 pm

infograf768 wrote: Simple answer is "Yes".
There may be some other security releases though concerning the 1.0.x series and you would then get a 1.0.8, etc. beforehand.
THANK YOU

mazhar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mazhar » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi
Joomla is indeed brilliant. I am looking forward to the future  releases which will allow multilingual joomla sites.

In the past i created multilingual ecommerce sites with Oscommerce. Simple concept that when a user clicks a flag, the whole site turns into french, german or whatever. However whilst the language files are pretty easy to do, and the product descriptions had muti-lingual boxes for the different languages, there was always ONE inherent problem. This related to ADVERT BANNERS, IMAGES WITH TEXT and GIF BUTTONS.

The problem was, with a site containing TEXT IMAGE gifs and banners in say english, these would remain in english even if the user was viewing the rest of the site in french or german.

Maybe its too much for me to ask, but is there going to be any consideration for applying 'multilingual gifs'  or banners.
For 3 languages we could upload 3 gifs. So when the visitor clicks french, everything INCLUDING the text images are now in french.  Maybe we could put a flag on every gif  apple_e.gif  (eglish)    apple_f .gif  (french)  apple_g.gif  (german), or even upload each image set into language specific folders.....i dont know.

Anyway, total multilingual Joomla sites would be brilliant if they could be achieved.

Regards to all.

choferer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by choferer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:48 pm

Maybe its too much for me to ask, but is there going to be any consideration for applying 'multilingual gifs'  or banners.
For 3 languages we could upload 3 gifs. So when the visitor clicks french, everything INCLUDING the text images are now in french.  Maybe we could put a flag on every gif  apple_e.gif  (eglish)    apple_f .gif  (french)  apple_g.gif  (german), or even upload each image set into language specific folders.....i dont know.

Anyway, total multilingual Joomla sites would be brilliant if they could be achieved.
You are absolutely right. This would be a very professional feature of the CMS. Hope it will be achieved, but probably it is an issue for the future development.
Christian

bluesaze
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by bluesaze » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:23 am

when are you guys gonna release a beta
A. N. Jacob-New
The Tech & Design Blog http://www.Clazh.com

mediamagnate
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by mediamagnate » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Listen to Johan talking about this process at www.joomlajuice.com
Joomla is a project, not a product! www.nooku.org

storman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by storman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:01 pm

They are now called plugins.
Much work has been done since the alpha1 release.
Alpha2 soon to come.
I'm a little confused :-\ I get the feeling that the next release will be a beta and its due soooooon !

Why I ask is that within this thread alpha2 is mentioned as arriving soon but in the joomla news section the piece on 1.1 says:
We intend releasing the beta soon and, in fact, this may well be the focus of....blah blah..
Anyone...?
Last edited by storman on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:32 pm

There will be a second alpha first, a beta will follow later on.

choferer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by choferer » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:12 pm

This is almost like Chrismas, except you know the Date of Chrismas *g*

louis.landry
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by louis.landry » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:02 pm

I assure you that we are working as fast as we can :)
Joomla Platform Maintainer
A hacker does for love what others would not do for money.

skynet80
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by skynet80 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:01 pm

I just installing joomla1.1 

1. On local computer installation was very fine (under Windows XP).

2. But when I begin install on server (under Linux Red Hut), than I interrapted on step  5.
Where I find logfile with errors or how I can enable error output?
http://myjoomla.ru :: Joomla Tutorials on Russian

sanderv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sanderv » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm

To give a little counterweight: I couldn't care less about multisite, myself ;)
Are there any threads that you recommend to learn how those new multi-language and LDAP/user management features will turn out. I don't have the possibility to set up a test environment with a beta myself.

newart
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by newart » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:49 am

svesew wrote: To give a little counterweight: I couldn't care less about multisite, myself ;)
Are there any threads that you recommend to learn how those new multi-language and LDAP/user management features will turn out. I don't have the possibility to set up a test environment with a beta myself.
I think the right way is to follow the developers blog
former Q&T WorkGroup Joomla member - Italian Translation Team Member

sanderv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sanderv » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:48 pm

Another question.
We're what, alpha2 now?
There were 3+ months between the two alphas, am I to ancipate another 3+ months before there is a beta, or possibly an alpha3? Are we supposed to go through beta, Silver and Gold in multiple steps too, or would those just be released for a quick scan, before going to Release?
Is there anyone from the devs who roughly wants to give any clue as to if the Release is weeks away, or rather months. And quite honestly, why is this taking as long as it takes? Sure the devs will be thorough, but was the design so flaky, the rush too big, or the promises, perhaps, or have you gone into alpha without a feature freeze (I have no idea if feature freeze is normal conduct for an alpha)?
I know that it'll be done when it's done, but perhaps there's some insight that can be given, leaving the doing of estimations up to the fool who is reading it?!
Also I've you guys given plenty of question marks to get this discussion going again :D

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:11 am

Svesew - Click the Developer's link above for more information than a person like me can fit in her head. Devs are really swamped right now - so, we should take advantage of that resource, first!

sanderv
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sanderv » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:39 am

Not much there on the surface... perhaps I should dig deeper... The closest is Jinx' week in review, but that's so old that the next one will probably be a month in review.
I know what it is to be swamped, so I don't want them to redirect any time to my curiosity, but perhaps there's some grapevine news?

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:57 pm

svesew -

dude - IN ALL DUE RESPECT - yes, you should dig deeper. dig MUCH deeper and please be sensitive with what you say. the devs are working miracles in there - they are heads down - butts up - busy. sometimes, casual remarks PARTICULARLY when they are made without FOUNDATION by people who only want to look at the SURFACE and talk about "grapevine news" -- are discouraging to people carrying heavy rocks.

FYI - "gravevine gossip" goes together. "news" goes with data and information.

I am guessing you really meant no harm so DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS . I assume you just want to join in with the community and get to know us. So, I am going to direct you to my favorite "getting to know you" thread... the "JoeJoomla - What are you trying to say with your user icon?" thread Please join us there but you have to be funny or MMMedia, our forum moderator, starts to get a little testy. (it's in the humor thread. we were booted from general.)

All with amusing stories are welcome. Watch out, though, it can be a little dangerous in there.

Amy

Habbekrats
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Habbekrats » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:02 pm

AmyStephen wrote: svesew -

dude - IN ALL DUE RESPECT - yes, you should dig deeper. dig MUCH deeper and please be sensitive with what you say. the devs are working miracles in there - they are heads down - butts up - busy. sometimes, casual remarks PARTICULARLY when they are made without FOUNDATION by people who only want to look at the SURFACE and talk about "grapevine news" -- are discouraging to people carrying heavy rocks.

I am guessing you really meant no harm so DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS . I assume you just want to join in with the community and get to know us.
I heard creating J 1.1 is like an orgasm to the devs. You really cannot touch or speak to them afterwards, not even blow on the fragile work. Ssssh. Waaay too sensitive. Whisper.. don't speak too loud. Light candles. Brush your teeth. Deodorize firmly. Speak with two words and never, never look andrew Eddie straight in the eyes. It makes him mad. I have obtained information he can write code that can make you disappear from the matrix *whisper*

Nuts. How about the good ole 1.1 kick in the butt? Oops, forgot, does not work in Open Source :)
Of course I mean no harm..I am quite harmless mean :)
Last edited by Habbekrats on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What if then else?

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:16 pm

hello mr. habbekrats....are you giving me some of that attention you know i love  :-*

pushfrog98
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by pushfrog98 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:31 pm

Habbekrats wrote:
AmyStephen wrote: svesew -

I am guessing you really meant no harm so DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS . I assume you just want to join in with the community and get to know us.
I heard creating J 1.1 is like an orgasm to the devs. You really cannot touch or speak to them afterwards, not even blow on the fragile work. Ssssh. Waaay too sensitive. Whisper.. don't speak too loud. Light candles. Brush your teeth. Deodorize firmly. Speak with two words and never, never look andrew Eddie straight in the eyes. It makes him mad. I have obtained information he can write code that can make you disappear from the matrix *whisper*

Nuts. How about the good ole 1.1 kick in the butt? Oops, forgot, does not work in Open Source :)
Of course I mean no harm..I am quite harmless mean :)
doesn't this post belong in the humor section?  I couldn't stop laughing after reading it.  good stuff. 

I am impatient though, i'll admit it.  I've been wanting 1.1 since i first heard about it.  I'm kind of in a tough spot right now, since I am developing a website for a college, and my ETA for completion is July 1st... I don't have time to wait for 1.1 so I have to use 1.0.7(since it's the last STABLE release).  But I suppose I can start developing for 1.1 when i'm done, and slowly transfer it over... kinda worried about that though.

Either way, I'm excited about 1.1 and am very thankful we have such a dedicated dev. team.
- Jared Smith

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:04 pm

1.0.8 works great! there are a few fixes - anything that you  can't fix in 1.0.8.

I agree, we have an EXTREMELY dedicated development team. WE ARE SO LUCKY!

Jinx
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jinx » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:35 am

svesew wrote: Are we supposed to go through beta, Silver and Gold in multiple steps too, or would those just be released for a quick scan, before going to Release?
No we aren't, all information regarding the release cycle can be found here : http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/39/63/, beta will be followed by the stable release.
Is there anyone from the devs who roughly wants to give any clue as to if the Release is weeks away, or rather months.
The beta release is weeks away not months. Not definite date has been set and we are not going to set one, this will only cause extra stress on the team. It still needs to be fun for them.
And quite honestly, why is this taking as long as it takes?
Because adding internationalisation isn't as easy as it sounds. It's not just about translation the interface, actually it's a real challenge if u want to do it properly with both future and past compatibility in mind. If u want to read up on our quest u can find more info in David's excellent article here : http://dev.joomla.org/component/option, ... d,33/p,16/
Sure the devs will be thorough, but was the design so flaky, the rush too big, or the promises, perhaps, or have you gone into alpha without a feature freeze (I have no idea if feature freeze is normal conduct for an alpha)?
As explained in the release note of alpha 2, the feature freeze was in the framework and not in the total package. A complete feature freeze will happen with the first beta release. Information about the development status can be found here : http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/1139/82/
I know that it'll be done when it's done, but perhaps there's some insight that can be given, leaving the doing of estimations up to the fool who is reading it?!
Well, i think i have just done that ;)
Also I've you guys given plenty of question marks to get this discussion going again :D
Sorry can't do that, but Amy will be happy to respond to any other questions u might have ;)
Johan Janssens - Joomla Co-Founder, Lead Developer of Joomla 1.5

http://www.joomlatools.com - Joomla extensions that just work

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:12 pm

Jinx wrote: Sorry can't do that, but Amy will be happy to respond to any other questions u might have ;)
Absolutely - I most certainly will be happy to do so! Now, back to work, Jinx! lol (actually, make sure you get some rest!)

AmyStephen

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:15 am

Johans announced that the roadmap has been updated and that the release is to be officially called v. 1.5

Return to “Announcements Discussions”